Two disc spinners, one budget - which would you choose?
Feb 25, 2017 at 12:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Duncan

Headphoneus Supremus
Hiya,

So, I've had these two sources for a while, and - need to think about cutting costs / clawing some money back...

Contender one - Cyrus CD6SE2 - Optical output
Contender two - Cambridge Audio BD752 Blu Ray combi player - Optical and Coax output

So, the Cyrus is a dedicated CD player, but the bottom of the range from that time, where the Cambridge Audio was the top of the line player, and is a jack of all trades - which I no longer need for BD / DVD playback having upgraded to 4K...

Either / both feed into my Pioneer U05 DAC/Amp

Which would you keep,. and which would you sell? - Toss of a coin, or something more insightful?

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #2 of 4
i am in absolutely no position to give legends advice, but.... you haven't mentioned any sound differences between them. If that is the case and they basically do the same job and have the same sound to your ears, then I would then base my decision, if it were me, on functionality, ease of use and aesthetics. Which for you is easier to use and more comfortable to live with and look at? This is assuming all else being equal of course.

OR.... another perspective, since you brought in the issue of money, which one would net a higher price if you were to sell?

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the speedy reply dudlew :)

Can't really say that I hear any pronounced difference between the two, maybe slightly tighter on the Cyrus, and crisper on the Cambridge, but - not enough that I'd be able to ace an A/B test...

I suppose my point is - would it be, in 2017 - considered a bad thing to use a combo player in place of a dedicated CD spinner...

Feb 25, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #4 of 4
My last disc spinner was a Matt Anker modded Sony DVD SACD CD changer that died a few years ago. So I dont think there is an issue with a combo player. I liked the convenience of being able to listen to high quality music and still watch a DVD, and to play any future SACD discs which I never did get... lol.

So my angle was convenience with good sound. And you have to remember that the Oppo players are considered very good these days and they are combo players.

I dont think its a bad thing to use a combo player at all, I just think it comes down to what you want with regards to convenience and future proofing, but you already stated that you dont need that any longer, so in my view, I would stick with my initial comment. Which user interface you prefer, which you think is more solid, which you think can sell for more.... but not if the combi player is bad or good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back