Two computers audio into one headphone, with a mic to 1. Help!
Nov 14, 2023 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Mumbles06

100+ Head-Fier
Alright, I'm trying to make a rig for my wife's specific situation. She just bought a nice set of headphones at CanJam, her first really nice set. She works from home full time and has her work laptop hooked up to a big 3 monitor setup working on mortgages. She takes calls from clients sporadically throughout the day. She currently has a crummy headset through a very nice Schiit Hel. She can't install any software on her work computer, or hook it to our home network for client privacy reasons. We have a NAS with thousands of CDs ripped to FLAC that we listen to throughout the house. I need a solution for 2 audio inputs into one set of headphones, with the ability to take calls.

So something like this;
Work laptop ------------------------------------->\
\
-----> "Product X" -------->ZMF's with mic
/
NAS----->Phone/home laptop/music source -->/

Mic only needs to talk to work laptop, but I need music to be able to pump into the ZMFs. My best thought is using the Schiit Syn that has a built in DAC and microphone, for her work computer, then putting a modius or Bifrost under it with a streaming source connected to the RCA input of the Syn. Then listen to the music on one input, then when there is a visual cue on the monitor that a call is incoming, switch the input back to the internal dac. I think that will work, but I feel like maybe there's a cheaper solution considering I already have a Hel in place.

Has anyone working from home or gaming had to solve this problem before?

Nov 14, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 4
Does your DAC have multiple inputs? Coax and/or optical and/or USB input? If so, feed each PC thru them and use the DAC to switch sound inputs. Hook the mic to her work PC.

Nov 14, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #3 of 4
Solved. I'm using a usb-a to optical cable for the work computer. It will go into the schiit Hel optical in. Then the usb input is open for a phone or laptop as a streaming option. Just switch the input to work to take a call, then back to usb for music. Solved for 30 bucks worth of cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back