Two chinese dacs on ebay. Any one try them?
Dec 17, 2009 at 3:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

SilverCans

100+ Head-Fier
I believe some of you may have heard or own these dacs, can anyone coment on them? I was going to splurge on a Audio-GD Ref1 until I got my tax bill
frown.gif
. So back to the cheaper route
tongue_smile.gif
. So just based off either your listening impressions or from a circuit technical aspect (like which is superior in terms of dacs used and implementation), what would you choose?

DAC kit AD1865N-K NOS 1.0 NOS w/ transformer - eBay (item 320461472796 end time Dec-21-09 15:39:07 PST)

Hi End 24/192 usb DAC DA CONVERTER CS8416+CS8421+CS4398 - eBay (item 160365806109 end time Dec-27-09 08:21:49 PST)

Dec 18, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #3 of 11
I know at least one member has tried the gigawork and was satisfied with it. You might check out headwize, as I believe they are more experimental and may have tried both the dacs you are looking for. Search the forums a bit more, as I am pretty sure I have seen at least the gigawork discussed.

Dec 18, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #4 of 11
I built a similar one (earlier version) to the second link you posted. It turned out really well for a cheapish DAC. I ended up modifying it quite a bit with some pretty impressive results. It's no giant killer but easily bests most entry dacs by fair margin. One thing to observe with these kits ...make sure the transformer is high quality or replace it with a known brand name US made device (Avel Lindberg [SP ?] for instance) . The cheap ones that come with these kits sometimes fail in a spectacular fashion. For some reason I found a 50VA or even a 100VA (overkill big time) sounded better than the 30VA tranny. Another good alternative to a toroidal is an R-Core (50W).

Anyway here a pic of my kit DAC loaded with 2 dual channel Earth HDAM modules in place of the NEC5532CN8's OPA's the kit came with. The chassis I bought was just barely big enough but the price was right (30 bucks)
smily_headphones1.gif

Of the NOS kits these guys have (your first link) this one is worth a closer look & paired with a really high quality PSU sections(s) would really be a terrific DAC IMO. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ategory=122650

You have to like the NOS sound to begin with but there is no doubt a 4 chip TDA1541SA1 design would likely be killer. I would also pair it with the best I/V stage (analog output) you can lay your hands on....

Peete.

Dec 19, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #5 of 11
I reviewed the AD1865K kit schematics (they sent them to me) it is a good design very similiar to Audionote. With the tube output option it should be at least as good as the Havanna. But you need to hear an NOS DAC first, they have a very inaccurate sound due to the lack of any filtering. Some people love the sound others don't. I personally don't like NOS, the treble is severely compromised (altered.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe some of you may have heard or own these dacs, can anyone coment on them? I was going to splurge on a Audio-GD Ref1 until I got my tax bill
frown.gif
. So back to the cheaper route
tongue_smile.gif
. So just based off either your listening impressions or from a circuit technical aspect (like which is superior in terms of dacs used and implementation), what would you choose?

DAC kit AD1865N-K NOS 1.0 NOS w/ transformer - eBay (item 320461472796 end time Dec-21-09 15:39:07 PST)

Hi End 24/192 usb DAC DA CONVERTER CS8416+CS8421+CS4398 - eBay (item 160365806109 end time Dec-27-09 08:21:49 PST)

Apr 6, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #7 of 11
I'm intriiqued by the AD1865N kit. I have a pair of high quality 5K:300 transformers looking for a home. Perfect for a nice tube output. I also have parts to build a tube rectified and regulated B+ supply similar to Audionote's high end M2 power supply.

I was hoping to do a dac upgrade this year ($2K used), but like many others, I've taken a severe hit in the economic downturn and also have two kids in college. Bottom line is it's not going to happen. I'm a pretty decent tube guy, and while no digital expert, I have adequet technician level skills.

I'd appreciate any advice and comments as to whether this would be a worthwhile project or just a lateral move from my basic Audionote 1.1

I'd also be interested in similar level and cost alternatives. And while I generally prefer an NOS dac, I'm open to other options.

Thanks in advance!

Apr 6, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #8 of 11
Frank is the AD1865N kit your looking at this one by any chance DAC kit AD1865 NOS 2.0 Balanced output on eBay.ca (item 320509350979 end time 08-Apr-10 04:55:43 EDT) ?

If it is it would make for a fine, to possibly excellent, main board that would allow you free reign to use whatever analog I/V stage you wished to
smily_headphones1.gif

I would definitely explore this concept. I have looked at this board myself (since I need another balanced DAC and I prefer R2R based DAC chips) using the discrete balanced analog I/V output board they sell separately. With two or 3 R-Cores this combination could be a formidable DAC for under 600 bucks roughly speaking. I bet it would easily rival the Audio Note, maybe even surpass it with the parts you plan on using.

Go for it I say and good luck with the coming years financial picture/opportunities, it's tough out there for everyone (Canada is floundering right along with the US economy..sigh).

Peete.

Apr 7, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #9 of 11
Thanks for your reply Peete! The board you mention is indeed the board I was looking at. This seller has a lot of interesting dac boards. My experience in this area is very limited. Any decision I'd make would be basically a "pig in a poke". Would you have an absolute favorite of the group?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back