Two AMPS on DAC ?
Nov 7, 2021 at 7:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Maximus Pain

100+ Head-Fier
I have two AMPS and want to connect them to a single DAC.

How can I connect two AMPS to a DAC if the DAC only has one pair of RCA outputs and one pair of XLR outputs?

Would a good RCA Splitter cable give me any feedback or distortion issues?

71tTpqvEDYL._AC_UL116_SR116,116_.jpg

Or.... would it be better to use the second set of XLR outputs on the DAC with an XLR to RCA cable?

61z8FisbXmL._AC_UL116_SR116,116_.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #2 of 7

https://www.schiit.com/products/sys

Hook it up in reverse. It's a passive preamp, so In or Out doesn't matter as long as your connection is consistent ie both amps on the pairs for "input" and not one amp and one DAC on the inputs. Also set the Sys to max volume ie no attenuation.

How can I connect two AMPS to a DAC if the DAC only has one pair of RCA outputs and one pair of XLR outputs?

-----

Or.... would it be better to use the second set of XLR outputs on the DAC with an XLR to RCA cable?

Sending separate GND channel balanced signals into a downstream component wired for single ended* will short the balanced component.

*note: this is not like Violectrics with balanced input on the amp, which is actually designed to take balanced inputs then convert the signal to SE before it reaches the preamp stage.

-----

Nov 7, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #3 of 7
I have a DacMagic 200M that has a pair of SE RCA out and a pair of balanced XLR out.
I've connected the SE out to two heaphones amps with a pair of RCA to two RCA cables, and the XLR out to active speakers using a XLR to RCA adapter.
I don't hear any SQ degradation and everything works well.

Nov 8, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #4 of 7
https://www.schiit.com/products/sys

Hook it up in reverse. It's a passive preamp, so In or Out doesn't matter as long as your connection is consistent ie both amps on the pairs for "input" and not one amp and one DAC on the inputs. Also set the Sys to max volume ie no attenuation.

Sending separate GND channel balanced signals into a downstream component wired for single ended* will short the balanced component.

*note: this is not like Violectrics with balanced input on the amp, which is actually designed to take balanced inputs then convert the signal to SE before it reaches the preamp stage.
ProtegeManiac saves the day once again, lol. Thank you!

Nov 8, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #5 of 7
So something like this should also work without any ill effects to sound quality?

81GWfZD6bGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Nov 8, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #7 of 7
Regarding using a font selector "backwards", I've used a Pro-ject Switch Box S (it has 3 or 4 inputs and 2 outputs) reversing the signal path with no problem or SQ impact.
Also, the Switch Box is active.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back