TWFK Driver IEM.
Nov 28, 2016 at 12:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Mdraluck23

The Brown Noser
I've been out of the game. I've had the Rockit R50 and the Vsonic VC1000 and LOVED the latter but it has alas worn out on me. 

It's been a while, what are some similar IEM's to those two nowadays? Around $100 give or take a few would be awesome. Sound quality doesn't HAVE to be better than those if there's a damn good deal due to the season, I'd jump on it. I just missed the RE0 return to Massdrop unfortunately. I loved those.

Fun Fact: I was around here before the help and recommendations thread and I made a similar suggestion YEARS ago as a better way to organize the forums. I wonder if the admins listened to me :D

Nov 28, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #2 of 16
Funnily enough you can easily find dual and triple-driver hybrid IEMs these days around $100, but dual and triple BA combos seem to be more in the $200 and up range. There are a fair number of single-BA though.

I've not heard R50 or vc1000, I have heard TWFK driver (in 2000j hybrid and I think Q-Jays use something similar) but not sure how consistent that would be sound-wise.

Zero Audio's Carbo Doppio for ~120ish is dual-BA, no idea what type.I liked them but there is a neverending deleuge of <100 iems so not really sure where it stands value-wise. The ATH-IM02 are great, used to be only 150 but price went up a lot, also not sure what BA type.

Only other dual-BA I'm aware of around this price is Pai Audio MR2, which uses Knowles, not sure what model(s), some positive reviews here though: http://www.head-fi.org/products/3-14-mr2-ba-balanced-armature-headphones-with-two-units-of-moving-iron-new-style-earbud-stage-monitor-earphones

Might ask over on The Discovery Thread or the Chinese IEM threads or ljokerl's Multi-IEM Review thread (I think he once covered the vc1000), they seem to keep track of stuff, could have some good suggestions.

Nov 28, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #3 of 16
I checked out Joker's thread and website, I've found the GR07 classic, 
1MORE Triple Driver, and the RE-400. Also found the R50 still available.​

The Joker's thread is so seldom updated many of those are not sold for their prices anymore. Still an incredible resource.​

What hybrids are around that point (or less) and neutral?​

Nov 28, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #4 of 16
Yeah seems like Joker has been working on other things lately.

No idea about the hybrids, I;ve only used a few not at this price- the 1MORE you pointed out I have seen praise for recently, as well as Dynamic Motion 200H i think?, could also check out ClieOS's comparison thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/795851/the-craze-for-budget-hybrid-a-quick-comparison-updated-august-10th-2016

If you're really dying for TWFK or TWFK-ish Dual-BA and feeling exhorbitant and impulsive atm there are some black friday/cyber monday deals for the new version Q-Jays direct from Jay's (my daily driver) and recently resurfaced Fischer DBA-02 (I think one of the more famous TWFK-based iem?) from Lend Me UR Ears, both around $195

Good luck with the hunt :beerchug:

Nov 28, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #5 of 16
The 1MORE is 85 on amazon right now.... very tempting. I have a pair of Zero Audio Tenore's I liek quite a bit but the VC1000 was just... perfectly tuned to my ears.

Fischer's were my dream pair of IEM's, they were so hard to find back in the day! Still not willing to spend that much when there are so many great sounding ~$100. I feel like IEM's get too much risky use out in the world, ya know?

Nov 28, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #6 of 16
Yeah, I think I have lost all perspective on IEM pricing after slowly moving up and up in budget :ph34r: though I will say q-jays seem to have really excellent build quality, only had for 7 months or so though.

I'm a fan of Tenore as well, probably the easiest to recommend headphones I have heard, right up there with porta pros or KSC75. Doppio is similarly well balanced but on the brighter side comparitvely, fun IEM but i'm not sure the 75 dollar difference really shows.

Actually can get the 1MORE hybrids from Costco for less I believe, someone mentioned in one of the black friday sales threads.

Nov 28, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #7 of 16
Actually can get the 1MORE hybrids from Costco for less I believe, someone mentioned in one of the black friday sales threads.

COSTCO?! I have one 5 minutes from me. Wow I'll probably go grab some and return them if I don't like them. THANK YOU!

I love my KSC-75! I'm all about the value.

Nov 28, 2016 at 3:02 AM Post #8 of 16
idk if the stores carry as they also have an online store- found the link http://www.costco.com/1More-Triple-Driver-In-Ear-Headphones.product.100296621.html

Nov 28, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #9 of 16
I'm just deciding between them and the RE-400 for 50$, I loved my RE0's and I know they're not the same but in spirit they may be..... Not many great Cyber Monday deals on things I'm looking at.

Dec 1, 2016 at 6:46 AM Post #10 of 16
If drivers are ok then you can give em for remaking into CIEM

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

Dec 5, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #14 of 16
  It's actually one of the drivers that died... :c

Strange... my R-50 are still going strong, only cables have lost a bit of softness (became a lil bit inelastic).
May be that driver should be replaced by warranty, because they just dont die that simple..?

Dec 5, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #15 of 16
  Strange... my R-50 are still going strong, only cables have lost a bit of softness (became a lil bit inelastic).
May be that driver should be replaced by warranty, because they just dont die that simple..?

Actually my R-50 was brutalized by a washing machine and dryer....

The VC1000 has a driver that died.... I liked their sound a bit more than the more aggressive R-50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back