Twee Folks
Dec 6, 2005 at 3:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ricardo diaz

500+ Head-Fier
Yes. I know there are some here.

Let's all share our awesome musical tastes!

I'll start:

All Girl Summer Fun Band
Go Sailor (<333)
Beat Happening
Tiger Trap

Any others?

Dec 6, 2005 at 8:31 AM Post #2 of 17
Twee! Yes! Twee rocks!

Belle and Sebastian is a must.
Camera Obscura I personally like even better. It hits me really really hard everytime I hear them. Ugh...its just like too much.
Let's see what else...ok...I had another group that I love but I just can't bring them to mind right now and my music computer is down. I'll repost when I think of it. Meanwhile...listen to CAMERA OBSCURA!!!

Dec 6, 2005 at 11:58 AM Post #3 of 17
Would Go-Team! be an example of 'Twee'? Girl rap + cheers + 70s easy-listening/action music samples = LUV-U-4EVA:GRLT33M>BST-FR1ENDS YAY!!!

(Something insidious is compelling me to post here. Must fight odious but powerful magic of Her Evilness the Sorceress Fifi-trixibelle!)

Dec 6, 2005 at 3:54 PM Post #4 of 17
Boy Least Likely To
Acid House Kings
The Light Footwork

Dec 6, 2005 at 4:10 PM Post #5 of 17
The Go! Team as Twee?
Really?

Hm. I know I like them, and if they were Twee, it'd explain it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by silent perfection
Meanwhile...listen to CAMERA OBSCURA!!!

GOT IT. *listens*

Dec 6, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
The latest one by the Lucksmiths called Warmer Corners is really nice. Very well done on all counts, production, melodies, lyrics, engineering, the whole thing.

http://www.twee.net/news.htm?pageno=2

Davey, forgive my cluelessness, but please offer me some of the defining characteristics of the 'Twee' movement/ethos so I can know and do honourable battle against the satanicly pouting caprices of Fifi-trixibelle, who dots her 'i's with human hearts freshly ripped from the exploded chest cavities of daytime soap opera actors. When it suits her.

Dec 6, 2005 at 6:37 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis
Davey, forgive my cluelessness, but please offer me some of the defining characteristics of the 'Twee' movement/ethos...

It probably means different things to different people, but I usually think of bands like Belle & Sebastian as defining twee. Indie pop that's melodic and often orchestrated, sweet sounding and tuneful with wistful lyrics. It apparently does have a very well defined beginning ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twee_pop

Dec 6, 2005 at 6:41 PM Post #12 of 17
@ Davey & EdipisReks: Thanks to you both for your responses!

Dec 6, 2005 at 6:42 PM Post #13 of 17
When you are looking for stuff by Camera Obscura, know that there are actually two very different bands who go by that name. One is from Scotland, which is the twee pop band you are looking for. But there is another Camera Obscura from the States and they sound nothing like Belle and Sebastian.

Dec 7, 2005 at 7:01 AM Post #15 of 17
Jens Lekman could probably be called twee. His album "Oh You're So Silent Jens" is awesome, it collects three out-of-print EPs on one disc...three for the price of one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back