Tweaking X-Fi XtremeMusic and Foobar.
Feb 1, 2007 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

syndrome

100+ Head-Fier
Hello there.
I finally got my thumb out and upgraded my Onboard AC97 Sound to an X-Fi XtremeMusic. I use Foobar and send the sound out to an amplifier from Marantz (not optical or SPDIF or so, just normal 3.5mm cable).

Are there any ways of tweaking the card (via software) and Foobar for best performance? I never installed that graphical application for the X-Fi, figuring it would do more harm than good, and so only have the console. I'm using the "Entertainment Mode" as I type, crystaliser almost off, EAX off, 3D-stuff off.

Thanks in advance!

Feb 1, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #2 of 7
I believe that card is going to have a lot of extra features that you will have to turn off people will probably mention them in there posts.

With Foobar you can disabled the windows mixer using Kernal Streaming or something and if you card supports it you can use ASIO. Those are both plugins that you need to download you can find them on foobar's site under like recommended plugins or supported plugins I think.

Feb 1, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #3 of 7
Requesting more information on Kernel Streaming and ASIO
wink.gif

Feb 1, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #4 of 7
search this forum for Kernal streaming and ASIO in foobar, there is a TON of info on it. I personally use ASIO myself. I dont really notice that much of a difference using KS. I do know that it uses alot more CPU power to run Kernal streaming then ASIO. I dont know this for sure, just know that my machine acts slow when i have foobar running with KS. It takes like 2 seconds before it registers a volume change when i slide the volume tab.

Feb 1, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #5 of 7
Do you notice a difference in sound when using ASIO then?

Feb 1, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by syndrome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you notice a difference in sound when using ASIO then?

It may not be noticable (most likely not!) but the 'cleanest' path is using ASIO - see here: http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/t...caudio&m=17331

--rob.

Feb 2, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont know this for sure, just know that my machine acts slow when i have foobar running with KS. It takes like 2 seconds before it registers a volume change when i slide the volume tab.

This is because by default foobar has a 2000ms buffer not because it is slow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back