Tweaking Room Acoustics
Aug 11, 2011 at 9:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

shrimants

1000+ Head-Fier
I live my entire life out of my bedroom in my parents' house. It is a 10.5x10.5 foot room with 8 foot cieling. Every last bit of it is drywall with wood interior and I believe no insulation in the walls. There is a 6 foot by 3 foot ikea wooden desk. As some of you may know, Ikea furniture is hollow and gets its strength from a honeycomb pattern built into the frame. I also have a wooden bed (twin size) with plywood mattress "plank". By this I mean that the matress isnt suspended on springs, instead it is on a twin sized particle board that is held up by the frame. The carpet is also very thin.

From what I can tell, the bottom of the bed and the bottom of the table only add to the "acoustic turbulence" of the room and make it so that certain low frequency pitches and ranges are excessively loud and resonant. I know its not the speakers because as I move throughout the room with music playing, certain areas have no low range and certain areas have way too much.

I am looking for tips and DIY tricks that I can use to make the hard stuff in the room absorb sound. One concern is that the fix cant take too much space or cost too much or look ugly. I dont have a problem putting up decorative sound dampening panels, but I cant put giant thick panels on all the walls because it is my parents' house and because my tiny room looks ugly enough without my design "prowess". Until my girlfriend commented on it, i had a large 4 dollar poster of a dragon on my wall, if that gives you any hints as to what I think is OK to decorate with.....

Perhaps something soft or sound absorbant under the desk and/or bed can fix a lot of the problem, but i have no idea what would do it. i also have no idea what to put on the walls to make them not reflect sound as bad.

Aug 11, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #2 of 2
SynAudCon's website has a nice list of resources:  http://www.synaudcon.com/site/category/articles/acoustics/

EDIT:

Also, you're describing an issue with standing waves, you need to figure out which frequencies are causing trouble, and tune the room to those frequencies.  Room treatments are a great way to make your system sound awesome, they can also make you go crazy figuring out the math, but if you like it, and become good at it, you can make a butt load of money!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back