Tweak output stage of PIMETA
Nov 5, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #61 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb
HA-5002 x4? Wow! Is that stacked?

Yes! And it is small enough to fit into BUF634's DIP8 socket directly. After several hours using of my PIMETA, I didn't see stacked HA5002x4 overheated.

But the LM317 on TREAD board inside of my PIMETA seem somewhat hot, I guess it might be around 70 degree centigrade. The problem is the output of TREAD is 24V while my external power supply unit provide 30V DC(when loaded) to TREAD.

Nov 5, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #62 of 68
My x2 stacks in a Millett have been doing OK - hours of listening and only about 30deg.C. It's nice to know others are having a good experience stacking these.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 7, 2006 at 2:01 AM Post #63 of 68
Now I have 10 HA5002s, 2 OPA637, 1 OPA627 in my PIMETA, although I didn't see any ill effect, I start thinking about whether I need to mod my power supply section as I am not sure whether TLE2426 can supply enough current to these 13 chips.

Nov 7, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #65 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by applegd
I am not sure whether TLE2426 can supply enough current to these 13 chips.

The TLE isn't supplying current to those chips. The TLE only supplies current needed to maintain the input side of the virtual ground circuit. None of those chips has a ground connection, as such -- their power flows from rail to the other.

Nov 7, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #66 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangent
The TLE isn't supplying current to those chips. The TLE only supplies current needed to maintain the input side of the virtual ground circuit. None of those chips has a ground connection, as such -- their power flows from rail to the other.

Thanks very much!

I see the CAPs(C2,C3,C4) are between "V+ or V-" and virtual ground. As V+ rail and V- rail provide the current to my 13 chips, if I have Caps between V+ and V-, what will happen?

Nov 8, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #68 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by applegd
Thanks very much!

I see the CAPs(C2,C3,C4) are between "V+ or V-" and virtual ground. As V+ rail and V- rail provide the current to my 13 chips, if I have Caps between V+ and V-, what will happen?

Certainly nothing bad, provided V+ - V- is less than the maximum voltage rating of the caps. At worst, the caps might be unable to provide sufficient current to the chips under load peaks, though even with 13 chips this is highly unlikely unless you're using the highest ESR electrolytics you can find, and even then... I think you'd probably want to increase their values significantly, however, as they will be depleted much more quickly when called upon to do their job (smooth out source voltage sags).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back