Tweak experiment: Plasti-dip custom IEMs for snugger fit/ color change
Aug 30, 2012 at 8:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

finkbmx

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone!  I am a new poster but I have been browsing these forums sporatically for years.  I ran a few searches for something similar to my idea but came up empty.  I have a set of old Ultimate Ears UE5c's from back in 2006.  They still fit but are a little loose compared to when I first got them.  Maybe due to weight loss or my ears growing.  Either way, I need some sort of fix for now until I decide to get a refit/reshell.  I just got the Comply Soft Wraps and I will see how those work before I try my idea.

So heres for my idea.  For Anyone unfamiliar with Plasti-dip, its a liquid or spray coating that was originally for use on tool handles but has now expanded to be used for car customization and all kinds of other things.  It is rubberized and matte and will peel off any surface that is nonporous.  My idea was to get the plasti-dip create your color kit, which has a base clear can with color tints to create your own color.  I was going to attempt to simply clear dip them into it and see if it creates a better fit.  Then adjust the viscosity of the material by thinning it until I get a perfect thickness.  Then, of course, try out some awesome tint colors like smoke or frosty white.  I think it would be an awesome way to customize IEM's after the fact.  I think even just the edge that is exposed could be plasti-dipped for people who simply want a color change.  

Anyone ever tried this?

Do you think it might irritate your skin during prolong exposures?

Thanks everyone for many years of useful advice :)

-Dave

Aug 31, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 11
it shouldn't irritate skin when cured since i use plastic dipped pliers for hours when working. The only problem i can see is the plastic dip sticking. unless you cover the whole IEM i foresee the whole sleeve sliding off because it happens with my tools after a while.

Sep 1, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #4 of 11
Hey, thanks for replying.  But what if I dipped the whole thing in all the way to the cable so it is completely encased in it.  I think that it would be held on all sides which would probably stop it from slipping off.  What do you think?  Also, is the dipped kind a matte finish?  Do you think it would seal correctly?  Thanks

Sep 1, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #5 of 11
You can get plastic dip in different finish but normally you will find it in a semi gloss from a home improvement shop. I am curious how well it will stick to the iems as well. I will do some experimenting with next week it since I want to recoat some of my tools.

Sep 1, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #6 of 11
Okay cool.  So you don't think that it would eat away at my IEM's or anything would it?  I think UE are acrylic?  I am only worried about it sticking permanently or damaging them in some way.

Sep 1, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #7 of 11
it may eat away at the glossy finish but i don't see it trying to melt the whole monitor since people plasticdip their cars without really hurting the paint but just in case i would be testing it on a old IEM faceplate

Sep 12, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #10 of 11
Hey, thanks for the idea but I actually bought the comply soft wraps and they do the same thing and are much less worth then that.  They seal very well now but I still want something that I don't have to compress every time I put it in my ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back