TW Acustic Raven TT
May 16, 2008 at 11:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Rob N

Headphoneus Supremus
Has anyone had experience of either the RAven AC or the Raven One?

In the UK the Raven One is £2600 while the 50kg Raven AC is £6500
I know one person who has the Raven AC with Graham arm and he thinks it's the best he's heard even beating some mega expensive decks

May 16, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #2 of 20
I know a guy who thinks the same; he has TW Acustic Raven One with Phantom arm, Sumiko Celebration cart. In the US, there's currently a waiting list, need to wait a few months before you can get one. I should be getting a Raven One sent to me for review in a few months. Can't wait.

May 19, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #3 of 20
I'm getting the Raven One with standard SME armboard (the bronze one is an extra £400 but I can upgrade to this later).I am getting the standard configuration ie with no outboard motor.Delivery is about 6 weeks

May 19, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I know one person who has the Raven AC with Graham arm and he thinks it's the best he's heard even beating some mega expensive decks

Are you specifically after a Raven, or are you looking to spend a lot of money on a turntable? I am fascinated by your comment about it beating some mega expensive decks. I thought those things were all show and of very little sound value. How do they compare against a 1200 or a LP12 fitted with the same arm and cartridge?

May 20, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

In the June/July "the absolute sound" on page 34, Wayne Garcia gives the TW Acustic Raven One Turntable a Golden Ear aware and indicates a review is forthcoming.

They have the article up on AVGuide now.

Avguide News and Blog» Archives » Wayne Garcia’s Golden Ear Award 2008 Picks- AVguide.com

May 20, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

I'm getting the Raven One with standard SME armboard (the bronze one is an extra £400 but I can upgrade to this later).I am getting the standard configuration ie with no outboard motor.Delivery is about 6 weeks

I will be very interested to hear your comments on the Raven One. The review and pics of the AC in Absolute Sound had me completely fixated for a couple of weeks. The price is a little nuts, so I have not even considered that idea, but the One is a possibility.
biggrin.gif
Is it true you can also use multiple motors with the One? I thought I read that somewhere.

Please keep us up to date when you have the One in place. Cheers.

May 20, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Rob congrats on the purchase, what cart and phono pre are you using? These are supposed to be great decks and on par or close to the cottage industry decks of Teres and Galibier.

Hernadu, I too am interested in the comparision between the Raven and other decks, I hope there is one at VSAC 2008 in Portland to check out. There should be sonic differences between the raven and the decks you mentioned right off the bat based on different design. belt vs direct drive and mass vs suspension.

May 20, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #9 of 20
Voltron, you can have a modification to the One where the motor beomes free standing and you can then fit a second arm

May 21, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

SME IV arm and Benz Wood M2 or Ortofon MC30 Supreme into Artemis Labs PH1

nice
biggrin.gif
I have heard stunning things about the Artemis Labs phono pre. Please come back and provide your thoughts on the Raven once you have it up and running.

Jun 26, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #11 of 20
Sill waiting for my Raven One but there's a positive review of the Raven Two here (42mb download).The Raven Two is basically the Raven One but with two armboards

Jun 26, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #12 of 20
Had a brief listen to a Raven One with the new Vector arm and a Zyx Airy last week. Unfortunately the system was not wholly familiar to me but it sure did sound damn fine. WLM Diva speakers and Redwine Audio 70 monos, can't remember the pre but phono was handled by a Tron.

Jul 4, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #14 of 20
005-4.jpg

004-3.jpg

For those in the UK the price has risen to £3000 from £2600 (as shown on the GT Audio site)

Jul 5, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #15 of 20
This sounds really good and I haven't used the Benz wood yet.

Rock solid speed,easy set up,good build,quiet (not quite silent) motor.Soundstage similar to the Gyro (at least on first listen),bass more controlled perhaps slightly more treble detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back