TV, soundbar and PS4 optimal setup
Mar 19, 2020 at 10:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Absolute Zero

New Head-Fier
As per title, I want to make sure I'm getting the most out of my soundbar, meaning that everything is set up correctly. I have searched the web extensively looking for answers but I'm afraid that due to my setup there are things that are still unclear to me, so I'm here asking for help.

Let's start off by explaining my current setup: I have a Thomson Android TV connected to the soundbar via HDMI-ARC and a PS4 connected to the TV via HDMI. Note that the soundbar only has one HDMI port and an optical port as well. It is the Sony HT-CT291. You can see the specs here. From what I gather, it's a 2.1 channel soundbar that supports LPCM 2.1 through HDMI and Dolby Digital (I don't understand whether Dolby Digital is also supported through optical).

Now when it comes to my TV, to my understanding, there's only one setting I can change that could affect the sound of the soundbar: in the advanced setting under "Digital audio out" I can only choose between PCM and Auto. I have looked in the manual of the TV but it doesn't say what Auto refers to. Now, I have tried both settings and from what I can tell, with "Auto" on, the sound is a lot louder, crisper and fuller but slightly delayed both on digital TV channels and on my PS4. When using "PCM" instead, the sound is not as good, besides being a lot lower but there's no delay.

As for the PS4, it is set up as follows:

Primary Output Port: DIGITAL OUT OPTICAL
Audio Format Priority: Linear PCM

The reason why it is set to DIGITAL OPTICAL, although it is connected via HDMI, is to force 2.0 channel audio. This is what I read in a Naughty Dog article here. Extract from the article (in case you don't want to read all of it):

If you need to force the PS4 System to output 2.0 channel audio on the primary output port, either because of HDMI channel misrepresentation issues, or because you simply know you are listening on 2 speakers and want to ensure the PS4 System stays in 2.0 channel mode, then do the following:

• Boot up the PS4 System and access the Settings menu
  • Select 'Sound and Screen', 'Audio Output Settings', 'Primary Output Port'
  • Select 'DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL)'. Note that you should select this regardless of whether or not you are intending to use HDMI; in this case the PS4 System will output audio to both optical and HDMI ports simultaneously
  • Make sure that the first three checkboxes are NOT checked (Dolby Digital 5.1ch, DTS 5.1ch, AAC). This will force the PS4 System to only output 2.0 channel audio regardless of the HDMI configuration
  • Select 'OK' to apply
  • Select 'Audio Format (Priority)'
  • Check 'Linear PCM'
With the setup described above, digital audio out set to Auto (on TV), DIGITAL OUT OPTICAL and Linear PCM on the PS4, there is a slight delay in the audio when playing video games. However, when setting the TV to PCM, the audio delay disappears on the PS4 but the audio is not as full and crisp and it is relatively low as opposed to the TV "Auto" setting.

To sum it all up, I'm a bit confused as to what settings I should pick. "Auto" on the TV seems to give the best sound quality on the PS4 but adds delay, "PCM" (on the tv) on the contrary, slightly degrades sound quality but removes the delay.

The PS4 has alternative audio settings as well. Besides the fact that I could pick HDMI over DIGITAL OUT OPTICAL (not sure if it would make sense considering the article above), there are 3 different audio format priorities:
- Linear PCM (my current setting)
- Bitstream (Dolby)
- Bitstream (DTS) (I don't think my soundbar supports it)

Sorry for the long post, I tried to be as clear as possible but not being an audio expert I might have said something wrong or sounded a bit confused.

How do you think I should set things up for the best sound quality without delay? I could also opt for using an optical cable, in case it could improve things. I'm open to all suggestions, thanks. I'm mostly interested in getting the best sound out of my PS4.

Mar 19, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #2 of 14
PCM is normal uncompressed audio, the TV's AUTO setting might be encoding/compressing (Dolby?) the audio.
So the soundbar might be uncompressing the audio, causing the delay?

Mar 19, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #3 of 14
PCM is normal uncompressed audio, the TV's AUTO setting might be encoding/compressing (Dolby?) the audio.
So the soundbar might be uncompressing the audio, causing the delay?

It could be. Unfortunately there's no info regarding that. How do you think this is solvable? Switching to auto really decreases sound quality in my opinion. Maybe changing the ps4 settings?

Mar 19, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #4 of 14
It could be. Unfortunately there's no info regarding that. How do you think this is solvable? Switching to auto really decreases sound quality in my opinion. Maybe changing the ps4 settings?
Yea, try setting the PS4's audio to Bitstream Dolby and Bitstream DTS, see which one, if any improves audio.
I would suggest connecting the PS4's optical output, to the soundbar's optical input.

Mar 19, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #5 of 14
I've tried all possible settings I can think of but it seems that no matter what I do, as long as the TV is set to Digital audio out "Auto" there's always some delay. Only setting the TV to PCM removes the delay. It's a shame though cause the sound produced with "Auto" on is a lot crisper.

An alternative I haven't tried yet and I'm currently thinking of would be connecting the soundbar to the TV via HDMI instead of HDMI-ARC. Would it make sense?

I have also tried to connect the PS4 directly to the soundbar via optical but I didn't notice any difference (still audio delay). I should add though that while being connected via optical to the PS4, the soundbar was still connected to the TV via HDMI-ARC. I don't know if that could be a cause of interference and therefore delay.

Apr 1, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #6 of 14
Does your soundbar not have any option where you can play around with the sync in milliseconds? I had a samsung 2.1 soundbar that when I was watching on regular viewing I needed to muck around with the -/+ sync. It could be a pain.

Apr 7, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #7 of 14
Does your soundbar not have any option where you can play around with the sync in milliseconds? I had a samsung 2.1 soundbar that when I was watching on regular viewing I needed to muck around with the -/+ sync. It could be a pain.

My soundbar doesn't have that option as far as I know. Oddly enough though, when digital audio is set to PCM on the TV, there's an option to mess around with audio delay; however, this is pretty pointless because when the TV is set to PCM, there's never audio delay. In the end, I ended up connecting the soundbar directly to the source (PS3 at the moment) because I don't really watch cable TV.

Apr 7, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #8 of 14
My soundbar doesn't have that option as far as I know. Oddly enough though, when digital audio is set to PCM on the TV, there's an option to mess around with audio delay; however, this is pretty pointless because when the TV is set to PCM, there's never audio delay. In the end, I ended up connecting the soundbar directly to the source (PS3 at the moment) because I don't really watch cable TV.
I hope you figure it out.

Apr 8, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #9 of 14
If you have a ps4 pro, you should be using the toslink out to run an optical signal to your favorite portable dac.

If you have an original or slim ps4, you're stuck with ripping it out of the hdmi or the controller's 3.5mm. I'd rather use an amp on the ps4 controller 3.5mm out.

If you don't have a ps4 pro and you are really serious about the fidelity, the best choice is just upgrade to a pro and get a long toslink cable. There is no point trying anything else if even the slightest audio delay is unacceptable.

Apr 8, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #10 of 14
If you have a ps4 pro, you should be using the toslink out to run an optical signal to your favorite portable dac.

If you have an original or slim ps4, you're stuck with ripping it out of the hdmi or the controller's 3.5mm. I'd rather use an amp on the ps4 controller 3.5mm out.

If you don't have a ps4 pro and you are really serious about the fidelity, the best choice is just upgrade to a pro and get a long toslink cable. There is no point trying anything else if even the slightest audio delay is unacceptable.

I have an original PS4 and a slim PS3. Since I'm currently using the PS3, I ended up connecting it to the soundbar via optical cable. I guess I'll do the same once I move back to the PS4. Regarding PS3 audio settings, there isn't much to do: I think I can only choose 2.1 PCM given that it's a 2.1 soundbar. I'm not sure about Dolby Digital 5.1 to be fair, I don't think it's supported by my soundbar.

May 16, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #11 of 14
Hey everyone! Bumping this thread for a new question:

If my PS3 (applies to PS4 as well) is connected to the TV via HDMI and the TV is connected to the soundbar via optical, when setting up console audio, should I pick HDMI or optical? Thanks!

May 16, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #12 of 14
Your selecting which connection, to the gaming console (PS3/PS4) your outputting audio to, so it should be set to HDMI.

May 16, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #14 of 14
I see, thanks. Just out of curiosity, why does it also work if I choose optical? What's the reason behind it?
Could just be the gaming console output audio thru HDMI, no matter which audio setting you use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back