TV headphones required for hard-of-hearing Father
Nov 29, 2004 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Mike_T

New Head-Fier
I need TV headphones for my Father. My bedroom is above the living-room and my pillow directly above where the TV is located. Because his hearing is poor, my Father has the TV VERY LOUD. I need 8hrs sleep, and to wake at 6am, but I’m being kept awake!
rolleyes.gif

Found this Sennheiser page, but not much info on the various models. Most aren’t priced, just a link to BioAcoustics, and they’ve not mailed me back.

Remote (as opposed to cable) phones would be an advantage (but not essential) + battery charger.

Can you get HP’s which sit on the shoulder, and point at the ears, as opposed to over-the-ear. I’m concerned that if they’re not comfortable my Father won’t use them.

What happens when I plug HP’s into TV’s HP jack – will it cut all output to the TV’s speakers, or not? (4yr old Panasonic 32”). Might require a second pair of HP’s if HP connection mutes TV speakers entirely.

Any advice gratefully received.

Nov 29, 2004 at 12:59 PM Post #2 of 11
I would look at the Sennheiser mx500 which has a volume control built into the cord and would probably be convenient. Very inexpensive phone. I don't know about the TV speaker muting, just have to try this out. Good luck.

Nov 29, 2004 at 1:28 PM Post #3 of 11
Because television is mostly talking and random music and sounds, you may want to look in to getting him a pair of wireless headphones, as opposed to "audiophile" headphones. That way he won't get tangled up in the cord if he wants to get something out of the fridge, etc.

Nov 29, 2004 at 1:44 PM Post #4 of 11
Thanks guys. Yes, I think cordless might be better, but I guess they'll be more expensive. But if they're not cordless, there needs to be atleast 4 metres (13 feet) of cable. Had a quick look at the MX500's and they're 1 metre. Keep the suggestions coming. Ta
wink.gif

Nov 29, 2004 at 2:09 PM Post #5 of 11
I'd look at a cheaper wireless set of headphones. It sounds like comfort and convenience are going to be much more important than actual sound quality.

Nov 30, 2004 at 2:04 PM Post #6 of 11
I like the Sennheiser IS380 infrared wireless headphones for TV listening. They're only $75 US, are quite comfortable, and the sound quality is better than decent IMO. They use rechargeable batteries, and the charger is built into the transmitting unit.

As for connecting them, they want some kind of headphone-out or line-out jack to plug into (or you can supply your own RCA-to-minijack adaptor). Somewhere on the front or back of the TV you should have some kind of output that you can make work, possibly with a little help from the adaptor department at Radio Shack.

Nov 30, 2004 at 8:33 PM Post #7 of 11
I bought my hard-of-hearing grandmother a pair of Sennheiser RS85s and they worked great. RF gives you much better range of motion than IR, although that might not matter for his purposes (nor did it really for her's). RS65 will likely work just as well.

Dec 1, 2004 at 1:43 AM Post #9 of 11
You can get a headphone extension cord of various lengths for any hardwired phone. With a cordless headphone he wouldn't even have to take them off to use the bathroom or get a snack
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2005 at 8:38 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
What's your budget?

Another solution would for you to buy foam earplugs, which I wear every night to counter a snoring partner and a loud apartment. I find hearos ones great, so much so I import them to NZ myself
eek.gif

Ear plugs is a neat solution but, there are certain safety concerns I’d have. Not hearing warning noises if a fire breaks out, or an intruder in the house, etc. Would prefer not to have my senses dulled, for this reason.

I’ve been away for 2 months, but now back living with my paraents, and same problem. Thanks for the further response I got here. Now just looked on Argos and found these:
5343779iA62UC93909M.jpg

Argos link.
Don’t know the exact Senheiser model, but would these be as good as anything else? They're about what I want to pay (£60 = $100USD), and they look quality kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back