TV Headphones - Do I need Amp?
Apr 2, 2014 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Manuel75

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I plug my headphones, Sennheiser HD555, straight into the headphone out plug of a Samsung Smart Tv. I sometimes use a RS180 wireless or an Audio Technica AD700 from my PC fps gaming days. I use the headphones for watching movies at night when the kids are sleeping and I do value a good balance between audio and visual experience.

The question I have is if adding an headphone amp, lets say something like little dot mkv III or similar, would incresase the quality of the sound and so worth purchasing.

Also,
I sometimes use both the HD555 and the AD700 when watching something with my wife, using a cheap splitter for both headphones cables to plug in. Is an Amp particularly relevant when using 2 headphones at the same time?

Last,
Does an Amp make any diference when using a wireless headphone such as the RS 180?

For the record, TV stands aprox 3 mts, or 10 feet, away from the sofa, so I also have to plug a small extension cable for the headphones.

Thanks and sorry for the noobish questions.

Apr 2, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #2 of 4
Highly doubtful, unless you listen really (REALLY) loud and just need a volume boost... those cans are both highly sensitive and moderately low impedance thats fairly easy to drive.

I am not sure about wireless headphones, I have never used one.

Apr 2, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #3 of 4
Right, thanks. So unless I was using high(er) impedance headphones, in which case perhaps some good might come out of an amp, the fact is with this hardware this is as good as it gets.

Apr 2, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #4 of 4
Sort of... its (generally) high impedance combined with low sensitivity thats when things get really problematic, and an amp upgrade is (generally) more dramatic... IMHO of course.

Despite its 300 ohm impedance my HD650 is surprisingly loud and suitably dynamic with an 18V-OPA2107 Cmoy.  It does have its limits in terms of soundstage layering and ambient distance separation in recordings.  but loudness and dynamics are surprisingly good.  I credit that to the HD650 sensitivity.  The DT880 is another can that combines high sensitivity with high impedance, it too is surprisingly easy to drive despite its impedance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back