TV: digital cable or satellite?
Aug 30, 2003 at 8:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

zeplin

1000+ Head-Fier
my parents and i will most likely soon be getting something better than standard cable. i've had more experience with digital cable than i do with satellite. i've heard some say that satellite is the way of the future, but is it the right way right now? which one is more efficient regarding cost and what you get for that cost? i've watched satellite TV before and it seems that you cannot get local cable, or if you can, it is often not on the same time schedual. does anyone have anymore knowledge about satellite and how it might be better than dig cable, or vice versa? and as far as my room goes, i would certainly take into consideration which one has better picture quality, is capable of better picture quality, and also which has better sound quality? thanx for the help...i know nothing of this topic, and appreciate all the help i can get since i'm the one with this decision resting on my shoulders in the family.

Aug 30, 2003 at 9:43 AM Post #2 of 13
Had digital cable and have been living happily with Dish Network for a couple or 3 years now. It's economics in my neck of the woods...sat is cheaper.

FWIW, my understanding when I had digitial cable was that the "digital" part wasn't so much a signal and sound quality thing as it was a bandwidth issue. That may all be different now.

Aug 31, 2003 at 5:55 AM Post #3 of 13
thanx for the replys so far. is there anyone else that has experience with both types and have had that experience rather recently because of the vast improvements and competition? right now, i'm leaning towards satellite, but the fact that nothing is on a normal schedual, or at least what is the norm for CA, might be turning me off a bit...i still can't tell though??? more help would be greatly appreciated!

Aug 31, 2003 at 5:59 AM Post #4 of 13
It really depends on the services available in your area. I have Cox Digital Cable here in San Diego and I'm happy with the service and available channels.

Your best bet is to ask your neighbors and co-workers what they like in your city.

Aug 31, 2003 at 6:07 AM Post #5 of 13
I have had Dish satellite and Comcast Digital, and even though people say DirecTV is much better than Dish, I liked satellite better.

Aug 31, 2003 at 6:11 AM Post #6 of 13
so is there an option to keep all local stations on the same time schedual as with regular cable when using satellite? and if so, how much more would it cost compared to the best package that dig cable offers? just esitmates will do. thanx guys
biggrin.gif

Aug 31, 2003 at 7:18 AM Post #7 of 13
You can get all your local stations on DirecTV, so no worries there.

In my opinion, the best reason to get DirecTV is TiVo! Once you watch TV with TiVo, you will never go back. You can set up any number of season passes (records all the shows in the season on HD) with just a single click of the remote. After you drop in a 120 GB hard drive, you will never have to worry about surfing the channels again. Every time you turn on the TV, you know there are shows you actually want to watch instead of just the crap that is on at the moment.

As for prices, our local news commented that cable rates have increased at a greater rate than satellite for the last three years.

Aug 31, 2003 at 8:09 AM Post #8 of 13
I had digital cable which I was happy with. I switched to DirecTV to get the NFL package. I got the DirecTivo dishes and could now not imagine ever living without a PVR now.

Aug 31, 2003 at 8:29 AM Post #9 of 13
very interesting!?!? thanx for the info everyone. it looks like satellite as of, right now, is the leading runner. i just got back from a babysitting job and the family had satellite. man o man all those channels are beautiful. all the discovery channels, tech TV channel, different PBS stations, and cartoon networks rock! and the Tivo option sounds pretty cool too. any more helpful suggestions will always be appreciated! thanx again my fellow head-fiers
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 1, 2003 at 2:54 AM Post #10 of 13
I don't have either cable or satellite, but if I had either it'd be satellite. I wouldn't touch cable with a 10-foot pole. It's a rip-off, and even digital cable is half-analog (including the premium channels). I'd want all-digital service, and probably a PVR too (I've never had a PVR, but I know I'd probably actually watch TV if I did).

Sep 1, 2003 at 3:49 AM Post #11 of 13
Compare what cable gives you with a dish in your area.
In my area, Comcast now offers about 270 channels on their digital service and they have VOD (Video on Demand)
which the dishes do not have.
They will be offering a tivo like box soon also.

Direct TV has the exclusive NFL package that cable currently does not.
The direct TV TIVO is of better quality because its a direct digital copy.

If I lived in an area with less cable service, I would go for a dish.

It really depends what your local cable company can offer for the same price.

Disclaimer:
I work for Comcast and live in a Comcast area so I get full service for free.
Take the following advice with this in mind but that does not mean that I don't like the dish services.

Mar 9, 2009 at 10:10 AM Post #13 of 13
I have DirecTV. About 5 years ago I had the opportunity to go satellite and I took it. I have never had any regrets. Our local cable company was really bad back then.
We did miss the local stations. Now we can get them for an extra cost. I've had far less problems with DirecTV than I ever had with cable. I think here the cost is fairly close to being the same with the HBO and Cinemax package that I have, and I have way more choices.

I watch cable at the motel when I am there and I noticed that there are a lot of artifacts occurring. I don't get those with satellite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back