Tutorial: How to micky-mouse a pair of Baby-Woody KSC
May 20, 2007 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

AudioCats

Headphoneus Supremus
IMGP1116.jpg

Ok, here is the tutorial on how to micky-mouse a set of woody headphones using Cheap components and KSC55 drivers........

Tools needed: dremel tool ( I used a cordless B&D), drill, and an exacto knife with a sharp blade. You might also need some sponge foam as sound absorbing material (optional).
IMGP1110.jpg

May 20, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #2 of 32
Parts you will need:
*a headband of some kind ( I used the headband from an old Koss TD60),
*a pair of KSC55 (or BKH3) as driver donor,
*and a pair of fancy wood napkin rings. I found mine in a thrift store's "crafts" section, 29 cents each
eek.gif
(yeah, expensive, I know
cool.gif
). You should be able to get the all-wood ones for a few $ each in stores. The INNER-diameter of the ring needs to be around 1.5", if you can get 1.56" it will be perfect.
IMGP1080.jpg

The orange thing was sponge foam, just ignor it.

( Here are some nice rings, better than my thrift shop cheapy: http://www.pier1.com/catalog/product...6fh_refpath%25)
and these are extra nice
eek.gif
, the ID seems to be around 1.4-1.5", just right for the project
icon10.gif
: http://www.easternleaf.com/product_p/900692-02.htm

May 20, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #4 of 32
So you take out your evil dremel
very_evil_smiley.gif
, install a sharp cutter bit and let the wood chips fly..... I did it free-handed, the result was actually not too bad after all. Go slow, stop and measure often, you don't want to over cut too much. As usual, free hand cutting doesn't produce a perfect round, so even out the high spots with the exacto knife, again, go slow and see if the driver will go in after a few cuts. (the measurement in the photo was on the low spot, the high spots will still hold the driver)
enlarged.jpg

Now the driver fits in, and it is a tight fit, great. The driver should not be able to fall out of the wood ring.

driverfit1.jpg

driverfit2.jpg

May 20, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #5 of 32
How, grab your cordless drill and drill three holes: two for headband, one for cable. In mine case, 5/32" for headband holes, 3/32" for the cable hole.
Drilling the headband hole:
drilling.jpg

Push the cable through the cable hole, tie a knob(so you can't pull the cable out) then solder the wires onto the driver. You will need a Y cable, or, in my case, two original KSC55 cables.
Now press fit the driver into the wood ring.

insidethecup.jpg

Repeat the same to make the other side.

May 20, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #6 of 32
Now, snap the headband on to the woody rings, and if you choose to, stuff the holes with sponge foam ( I used blue for left and yellow for right). Bingo! you just made a pair of KSC baby-woody headphones.....
eek.gif
icon10.gif
cool.gif
......... You are not done yet though, still have to tune your new baby-woody by stuffing different sound absorbing material into the holes. I will let you do those experiments yourself.

IMGP1102.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back