Turtle Beach PX22 or SKullcandy SLYR??
May 5, 2014 at 1:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

captforest

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody,

this is my first post on this forum. I woud like to get a piece of advice here :)

I am looking for a new universal gaming headset, mainly for my xbox 360 but I plan to use it also on PS3 and PC and in the future maybe on the ps4 too. Actually i have limited my choice to these two headsets:
1. Turtle Beach PX22 - around 67 dollars on amazon
2. Skullcandy SLYR - 75 usd

I have read almost every review on both of them, almost every one of them was positive. Also read some comments saying that turtle beaches are overrated and that slyr has better sounds and others says opposite so I am a bit confused here what to get.

The price of SLYR is the maximum for me and I think in this price range, these two are the best choice. I don't have any chance to try them out because in country, where I live neither of them is officially sold.

Thanks in advance for help with choosing the right one.

May 18, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #3 of 5
The Skullcandy SLYR are... okay. Sound quality is 'fine' and I like that you can use it as an android headset, but while the headphones are plugged into the mic receiving cable doodad, you will get hiss. My first SLYR headeset had unbearable hiss, the replacement had tolerable hiss. The hiss is only present when plugged in to use the mic; when plugged straight into a source the hiss goes away.

Another annoyance with the SLYR are the cables themselves; they are ridiculously long and exceptionally talented at self-tangling.

May 19, 2014 at 5:10 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for input. Looks like i will get the slyr. But I have found another option, Plantronics RIG. According to some user review here on headfi it is quite good. But I am afraid that they gave more attention to its mixer and ability to connect the phone than to headphone itself.

Oct 17, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #5 of 5
Bit of a late reply but for anyone else interested i personally found the Plantronics Rig headset to have a more balanced sound. The slyr had more of a boosted low end, the highs were quite rolled off and it had a noticeable hiss when used with the inline amp. I also found the Rigs comfort to be better for my larger than average ear size, the slyr earcups are quite narrow so my ears got squished up against the back a bit. The Rigs large control dial was also much easier to use on the go comapred to the slyrs smaller and more fiddly control piece.
Having used all three i found the PX22 to be the better choice for me. Cheaper, more comfortable and slightly better sound quality. The rig was a close second, the main reason i didn't choose it was due to the mic not being very adjustable and you can't flip it up out of the way you have to unplug it instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back