Turtle Beach Earforce DSS to amp Plantronics GameCon 367?
Sep 15, 2011 at 12:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DarwinC

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

Sorry if I post in the wrong section...

My girlfriend gave me a Plantronics GameCon 367 headset as a gift for my upcoming birthday. I plan to buy a Turtle Beach Earforce DSS to amp this headset. But before I go ahead with the purchase, I'd like to outline my gaming setup and ask a couple of questions.

I currently have my xbox360 (phat elite) connected thru HDMI to my 40" SONY BRAVIA KDL-40EX400, and my Sennheiser PC 131 headset connected to the RCA audio output of the TV by means of a RCA to 3.5mm male stereo and 3.5mm female-to-female coupler. I plan to connect the optical output from the TV to the optical input on the DSS and the GameCon 367 to the stereo out on the DSS. Would it be better to connect the DSS directly to the xbox360 optical out (by means of an extra adapter, which I have to purchase) or will I get Dolby sound without a problem from the TV's optical out? Would this be a good amp/cans combination? Any comments will be much appreciated.

Oct 18, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #3 of 5
  If you're into digital surround sound for gaming, the Earforce DSS is pretty nice. It's PLEX&DD setting makes in game explosions nearly rumble [ I'm using Turtle Beach X11s ]. Although I use a Fiio-E7 USB DAC + ATH-M50s, ( I might get flamed for this ) for listening to music I sometimes swap back to the Earforce DSS for television/movies as you really do feel like you're in the room with the actors. 

p.s. Earforce DSS has slight static in the background, but in my case it can be removed by power cycling it a couple of times.

Oct 18, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #4 of 5
It's probably a better idea to plug the DSS into the 360 directly. Think of it this way: setting it up as
360 > TV > DSS
probably means the TV has processed the sound, and then giving it to the DSS to process "cheats" the amp of the chance to do its job.

Unless there's something in your TV manual which clearly indicates no processing will occur, 360 > DSS is the way to go.

Btw if you got more questions this thread might help: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envy-aka-shin-czs-guide-to-headphone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone/

Oct 20, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for your comments mates! I received the DSS yesterday and hooked it up when I got home last night. OMG, what a big difference!! I intend to use it mostly for gaming, and I only tested it with my XBOX360 (running MW2). The difference between Dolby & regular Stereo is just HUGE, and yes, the explosions sound just great, and I felt like I was in the middle of a real firefight. I really didn't hear any static in the background, maybe because the house was kinda noisy when I was testing it, but I'll give it a longer test run (with other games also, and will sure test it in my PC & laptop) on friday night. Any way, very impressed with the headset/DSS combo I just set up. Thanks again fellas!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back