Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro
Sep 14, 2007 at 1:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

con771

New Head-Fier
What do you guys think about the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro.
I am looking for another soundcard for my Laptop for my Dt-880's and also connecting digital to my home receiver.

Any other recommendations?

Sep 14, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #2 of 22
They all seem to rate them very highly, except i'm not sure its the right unit for connecting to a receiver, I'm certain it has only a headphone output, no line or digital out. If you decide to get one, pick up another while your there, and i'll paypal you to airmail it to me in the UK !

Sep 14, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Diode100 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They all seem to rate them very highly, except i'm not sure its the right unit for connecting to a receiver, I'm certain it has only a headphone output, no line or digital out. If you decide to get one, pick up another while your there, and i'll paypal you to airmail it to me in the UK !

It does have a digital out for as far as I know.

Quote:

The Turtle Beach Audio Advantage® Micro is a portable USB Audio Adapter (or USB Sound Card) with both analog and digital outputs that incorporates a surround-sound simulator for creating an immersive listening experience on standard headphones or stereo speakers.

Edit: As for other options, most of them will be more expensive. The EMU 0404 (USB version) might be better for you since it has a better headphone out and will most likely suit your DT880 better.

What impedance is the DT880?

Sep 14, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigizzy75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried it yet or did it just come out?

It's been out for a long time... Probably more than five years. It's a tiny $29.95 MSRP USB sound card with an analog and a digital output. Most people agree that the sound is colored, but with less-expensive headphones, the coloration seems to improve sound quality.

Micro_photo.jpg

Sep 15, 2007 at 8:04 AM Post #7 of 22
It's a great device for the price. But if you can save I'd go for the 0404.

Sep 15, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #8 of 22
Literally just picked one up at J&R about two hours ago.
My Grado extension put too much stress on my laptops headphone jack so it was time to find another way to connect.
Am listening to Colplay on it as we speak-w/my HF-1's it sounds fantastic.
Very small and easy to use.

Oct 2, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's been out for a long time... Probably more than five years. It's a tiny $29.95 MSRP USB sound card with an analog and a digital output.

Micro_photo.jpg

I have it and works great. It is connected to old Kenwood receiver and drives pair of tall speakers and I play flac files.

gychang

Oct 10, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #11 of 22
Is it any better than the 99 cent Chinese ones on ebay or C-Media's Sondingo? Any snap, crackle, and pop to them?

Oct 10, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #13 of 22
I have had 'em for a while and they do tend to pop occasionally once in a while, but all depending on the comp you use it on and the load, ie number of apps running on it.

That said, it is a terrific little device for the price you pay

Oct 10, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #14 of 22
Think that I'll order one to try out! I also bought one of the ebay .99 cent ones so I'll have something to compare it to. I'll let you know how they match up.

Oct 12, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #15 of 22
This device (and pretty much all of these USB key sized audio devices) are based on the C-Media CM-102 chip. It handles the DAC and opamp functions. They all sound pretty much the same, the only thing that is going to effect SQ on them is your USB port. Noisy ports (particularly those on some laptops) can cause issues as well as a congested port (like plugging it into a hub full of other components).

But for what they cost, they're an amazing value. The noisy and pretty much useles sound on laptops can be remedies with a little device like this. It's sound is about on par with the headphone out on most DAPs out there. There's no reason not to have one of these if you enjoy using headphones on a computer. My only suggestion is forget the bundled driver, just plug it into your PC and use the generic USB sound driver. The bundled drivers are just a bunch of DSP effects and are more prone to noise and 'popping' than the generic drivers.

The only qualm I have with these is that it seems they resample to 48.8khz internally. Which is strange since in the specification sheet for the CM-102, it says that it's capable of 44.1/48.8khz.

http://www.cmedia.com.tw/files/doc/U...et%20v1.01.pdf

If anyone out there can get this thing to accept 44.1khz ASIO or Kernel Streaming, please let us know how.

I'm also curious if its possible to disable the 'power amplifier' mode to get a standard line out from the device so it could be used with external speakers or an external headphone amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back