Turtle Beach AA Micro vs. Xitel Hi-Fi Link. Worth it?
Jul 10, 2005 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

OniVerde

Head-Fier
There seems to be alot of discussion about the AAMicro lately. For about $25 it looks like a reall bang for the buck upgrade. What about the Xitel Hi-Fi Link? The $50 version not the pro version. Is it worth twice the price?

Jul 10, 2005 at 8:58 PM Post #2 of 7
I had both. I'd say yes only because my Micro didn't really work. If you have better luck, then no, I don't think the Xitel sound is better let alone worth twice the value. Plus the Micro gives you better output options. The Xitel does come with a (though not Head-Fi quailty) nice 30' cable that would probably cost about half the total Xitel price if purchased separately.

Jul 11, 2005 at 2:38 PM Post #3 of 7
Well, I picked up the AAMicro at CompUSA yesterday. Listening with PortaPro's, I don't hear any background hiss like with the onboard sound. (I have a Toshiba Satellite) Even if I turn the volume all the way up (nothing playing of course!) there is just silence. No hiss, no hum..nada. Other than that...I don't hear much sound improvement. It maybe a little bit clearer...but maybe that's just my psyche wanting to justify the purchase.

I'm tempted to return it and exchange it for the Xitel just to compare....

Jul 11, 2005 at 3:09 PM Post #4 of 7
What are you using for an amp? Or are you using an amp? Keep in mind the Xitel has no headphone out, just line out.

Jul 11, 2005 at 3:19 PM Post #5 of 7
No amp. I just plug it in and go. I wish there was a volume control on the AAM though. Isn't the jack on the AAM a line out?

Jul 11, 2005 at 3:42 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by OniVerde
No amp. I just plug it in and go. I wish there was a volume control on the AAM though. Isn't the jack on the AAM a line out?

Well you're going to get a decrease in quality if you just "plug it in and go" with the line out on the Xitel. According to TB (I just used the optical out)...

Crystal Clear Music Reproduction
Listening to music, movies, and games on the road or at home 'after hours' is enhanced with the Audio Advantage Micro, no matter what you're listening to. Its built-in headphone amplifier also gives laptop audio that sound boost often missing from laptop headphone outputs.

So it looks like the TB has both a headphone out (analog) and a line out (digital/optical).

Jul 11, 2005 at 3:52 PM Post #7 of 7
so....it's only line out if I use the SPIDF cable? I did plug in my PA2 last night and the sound was a bit muffled...

If I just plug the phones into the Xitel w/o amp, would I be able to control volume in Windows like I can with the MMA?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back