Turntables: put the needle on or start it spinning first?
Nov 28, 2007 at 8:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

goldenratiophi

Headphoneus Supremus
Just wondering: I always see people spinning up their turntables and then dropping the needle on the record. Why don't people do it the other way around? Just asking because I've got a big box of 45s and it's easier to put the needle at the beginning while it's not spinning. Using the lever doesn't quite work because the tonearm skates a bit to the right and ends up playing the record mat (probably not good). So.... is there some reason I shouldn't drop the needle first?

Sorry, just a little paranoid...

Nov 28, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #2 of 19
Unless your TT gets up to speed very rapidly, you'll most likely hear the music gradually getting to the correct speed, which would most likely be kind of annoying. Why can't you turn it on, have the platter spinning, and then place the tonearm at the correct place on the record? Most TT's allow for this. I know mine do.
biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #4 of 19
well... I use to spin up the turntable first because I've always seen my dad doing like this! hahah

Just curious: are you lowering the arm automatically or with your fingers?

Nov 28, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just curious: are you lowering the arm automatically or with your fingers?

While it's spinning -> automatically
When it's not -> fingers

For some reason my hand shakes a lot when I'm trying to lower it w/ my fingers while it's spinning, and so I feel like I'm going to scratch it. Don't ask why, because I don't know.

Nov 28, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wondering: I always see people spinning up their turntables and then dropping the needle on the record. Why don't people do it the other way around?

Because if you accidentally bump the platter wrong, it can move backwards momentarily and potentially mangle the needle and damage the grooves in the record. Audiophile cartridges are generally a lot more delicate than the ones used in DJ turntables.

Since you mention the tonearm skating off the record, I'd advise checking the anti-skate setting on your turntable to make sure it's set correctly. If it's been set too high, it can cause the problem you're having.

Nov 28, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because if you accidentally bump the platter wrong, it can move backwards momentarily and potentially mangle the needle and damage the grooves in the record. Audiophile cartridges are generally a lot more delicate than the ones used in DJ turntables.

Ouch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since you mention the tonearm skating off the record, I'd advise checking the anti-skate setting on your turntable to make sure it's set correctly. If it's been set too high, it can cause the problem you're having.

It's set correctly according to the manual. It's only very slight, but just enough to miss the record.

Nov 28, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #8 of 19
I've always felt that the friction (stress on the cantilever) is lower if the platter is already spinning. At least if the tonearm is lowered via a damped mechanism...not 'dropped' manually.

But I guess that would depend on the turntable, and also how clean the record's surface is. I can see pros and cons to both approaches.

Nov 28, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Ouch.

It's set correctly according to the manual. It's only very slight, but just enough to miss the record.

Most auto TT's have an adjustment for stylus set down location. Also, I seldom find an anti-skate mechanism on a TT that is completely accurate. I use a test record with a blank space (no grooves), and I set the anti-skate so that the tonearm remains stationary.

Nov 28, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most auto TT's have an adjustment for stylus set down location. Also, I seldom find an anti-skate mechanism on a TT that is completely accurate. I use a test record with a blank space (no grooves), and I set the anti-skate so that the tonearm remains stationary.

Where do you get one of those?

Also: for the lulz, I set the bias at 0 instead of the manual-recommended 2 and.... now the tonearm doesn't swing to the right! And the stylus actually looks centered in the cartridge while it's playing instead of bending to the left!

Nov 28, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #11 of 19
always when the record is spinning.

the possibility of actually denting the vinyl from the static pressure of the stylus does exist. when the record is spinning the stylus tip dosnt press it for long enough.

Nov 28, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Where do you get one of those?

Also: for the lulz, I set the bias at 0 instead of the manual-recommended 2 and.... now the tonearm doesn't swing to the right! And the stylus actually looks centered in the cartridge while it's playing instead of bending to the left!

I've had my test record for over 30 years now. The ones available today are rather expensive, at about $50!..........now, that's an "ouch".
And as for your stylus looking centered, instead of bending to the left, I believe that's a good thing.
biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #13 of 19
this is classic anti-skate-set-wrong behaviour! Easy way to set it right:

Find a record with a long lead-out groove. Move the arm over the lead out space and let the arm lift drop the needle onto the surface. Just for a second, it will sit on ungrooved part of the record until it "catches" a groove. Watch what it does - if it sccots over the the inside you need more antiskate. If it runs to the outside then less antiskate.

Simple and pretty effective. Not as good as a test record, but more than adequate for most table/arm/cart combos

Nov 29, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's why I like and use a Micro Seiki MA-505 MKI tonearm. It has the best anti sate set up I know of, which is even better than on the MKIII. Part of the set up requires that you tilt the turntable up from the back a little and adjust the anti skate till the arm stops swinging either left or right.

Nov 30, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Just wondering: I always see people spinning up their turntables and then dropping the needle on the record. Why don't people do it the other way around? (...)

... 'cause it's easier to brush the record, when the platter is spinning - and safer, when arm & cartridge are out of the way.
tongue.gif

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: What rather puzzles me is that none of the vinylists you watch seems to use a record brush before play. There should be a law...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back