Turntables and Ripping Vinyl
Oct 29, 2014 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

metalhed

New Head-Fier
With the recent re-release of Iron Maiden's first 8 albums and all 19 singles on vinyl, I have got the itch to get back to buying records :)

I am in the market for a turntable with good sound quality (audiophile quality preferred but at $300 max not likely) but I also want to be able to rip my vinyl to FLAC.

I have seen the Audio Technica LP120  USB on Amazon for approx $250 which would have direct access to my PC via USB for ripping.
I also read some reviews and am very intrigued by the U-Turn Orbit Plus ($299) which I know would require an ADC.

For ADC's, Behringer makes a U-PHONO UFO202 ($30) and U-Turn recommended the Art USB Phono Plus  ($80) . Both look like they will do the job.

I don't mind spending for the U-Turn and adding the extra component if the sound quality on my RIP's will be better.

Not sure I trust the $30 ADC, and I'm not sure I trust the sound quality of the AT LP120 USB.

I have perused some reviews and threads on this site and I was wondering if anyone has either of these combinations and any solid opinions/advice on them. 

Thanks in advance (Maiden awaits... :) )

Oct 30, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #2 of 5
The U-Turn will be the better turntable as long as you don't need the LP120's 78-rpm support or reverse play features.  And with the LP120 the audio always passes through the sub-par built-in phono stage, even if you switch it "off" (but you can find several Youtube guides showing how to rip it out).  That's not a problem with the U-Turn.  In the end either will work for you if you want a new turntable with warranty.

I haven't used the Behringer or ART phono stage/ADC.  I'm guessing (only) that the ART will have a better phono section but that the ADC will be very close in the two units.  Both are limited to 16/44.1 or 16/48 so you won't be doing hi-rez needledrops with these if that matters to you.  Either one could be re-sold if you later choose to upgrade to a more expensive unit.

Oct 30, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #3 of 5
Coming in at a slightly higher price than the Art Phono Plus ($85) would be the SIIG Full HD 24-Bit/192 KHz Multimedia HD Digital 7.1-Channel USB Audio Box CE-S70011-S1. It's an ADC/DAC that a member of the vinylengine forum recommended. Quite versatile although I had to do a bit of trickery to be able to hear the analog input through the line out or HP out. Amazon has them. You would need a dedicated phono pre or regular amp/receiver with a built in phono section to use it though. 

Nov 10, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #4 of 5
Ordered the Audio Technica - it came with a broken tone arm lock and I got no sound out of the turntable when plugged into my receiver - it's going back and U-turn is up next :)

Nov 10, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #5 of 5
I would have thought it almost certain that all of the USB turntables will have the cheapest possible ADC that money can be saved on.

The Behringer 202 is a very good 16-bit DAC, but I never tried the ADC when I was using it. I am also looking for a reasonable quality, but not too expensive, ADC which will do up to 24/192, though I don't really expect to get 24 bit resolution. The Siig looks interesting, I hadn't come across it. For that price I will probably buy one and try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back