Turntable to complement a Bel Canto DAC2
May 25, 2004 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

minya

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello,

I'm considering a turntable purchase. Not for a while, though. Maybe not even this year. But if I ever do decide to go for it, I'd like some ideas of what to aim for.

Right now my source is a Bel Canto DAC2, which is a pretty damn good DAC. If I get a turntable, I'd like something somewhat comparable in quality.

I guess I'm wondering if I should get something like a Music Hall MMF-5 or just save my pennies until I can afford something like a VPI Scout. I'm guessing the latter would probably be the better idea...

Any thoughts?

- Chris

May 26, 2004 at 5:54 AM Post #2 of 15
OK, I'll take a crack at this
smily_headphones1.gif

I think that the Scout with a good piece of vinyl will kick most digital butt.
An MMF-5 would give a good taste of vinyl and be fine for a secondary source.
But I'd guess that a match for your DAC would be something like an MMF-7 or a Rega P3 or similar.

Have fun deciding!

May 26, 2004 at 7:31 AM Post #4 of 15
May 26, 2004 at 8:14 AM Post #6 of 15
May 26, 2004 at 1:08 PM Post #8 of 15
If you want to tweak to your heart's content, wait and save up for a Linn Sondek. If you want to plug'n play, I would also vote for the Regas, or Music Hall tables.

I'm still very happy with a Linn Axis, readily found for $350 used these days. It compares favourably with the Rega P3 and MMF-5, and works well on electronica.

May 26, 2004 at 5:28 PM Post #10 of 15
That Clearaudio sure is pretty. How much is it? Where can it be purchased in North America?

chillysalsa, I'm definitely going to avoid Linn tables because from what I've read, they're very fickle and difficult to calibrate / set-up etc. Not what I'm into.
tongue.gif

- Chris

May 26, 2004 at 5:38 PM Post #11 of 15
True, the LP12 can take months to get sounding 'just so'. But the Axis does not have the fancy suspension system meaning,
Pro: easy to set up, almost plug & play,
Con: mandatory to have a very stable platform!

The Rega with the venerable RB300 or RB250 from Incognito are superb for the music we like, that offers you a bit of upgrading fun.

May 28, 2004 at 12:21 AM Post #13 of 15
I also had a chance to hear Ray's P3 with his 20+ year old cartridge and it did sound great. However, the question is how many people buy a P3 and use Ray's XR-2 with it? Unfortunately I now have his XR-2 on order as a result, but with a Sota Comet instead of the P3.

May 28, 2004 at 1:58 AM Post #14 of 15
I'm enjoying my modded (acrylic platter/Heavyweight counterweight) Moth Alamo (Rega P2 Clone) with electronic stuff. I'm using a Shure V15 cart. If I were going to patiently save up, though, I'd probably be thinking hard about the Scout and I'd spend a lot of time auditioning different tables/arms/carts with a few reference LPs (that's very important).

May 28, 2004 at 3:09 AM Post #15 of 15
minya: Over here, it's about 450 Euro for the table alone or 750 for table & arm. And sorry, but I don't know about distribution in the US - it says one should ask them via info@clearaudio.de...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back