Turntable Speaker Suggestions
Jan 19, 2011 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

xtine

New Head-Fier
So I recently purchased a Audio Technica AT-LP60 turntable and I've been loving it. Usually I hook these up to my mini3 amp and to AKGs or Grado headphones, however sometimes I hook them up to some Logitech computer speakers. Lately I've been collecting some ska, jazz, and reggae records, and I'm wondering if there are better speakers out there for my turntable other than the 5.1 speakers I have that are labeled for "gaming" ...

Preferably a bookshelf type that I can put on my desk or that I can hang on a wall. I don't need a monster setup, so something that isn't super huge or expensive.

I'm not that familiar with "home audio" that much so I'm wondering if I should just get nice speakers to directly connect to the turntable or to a receiver (to which I would need recommendations on as well)? My ideal budget would be something less than ~$500, but flexible if there is a solution that is really ideal and really awesome for my needs.

Jan 19, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #2 of 4
You;ll need a phono pre amp and an integrated amp and speakers, or phone pre amp with active monitors. First of all sorry to rain on your parade but that TT isnt any good, yes you will get sound, but thats about it, you really arent going to see benefits of vinyl in a setup like that.

But nevertheless, to enjoy or make the most of it, get a decent phono stage. There are a few under 100$ that are quite good like Cambridge Audio and NAD. Try looking around for a deal on some of them. Pro-ject makes a nice budget one as well I think. The good thing with something like this would be that you can get a decent TT later and still use this amp.

As for active monitors, lots of threads here regarding those, and you can easily read up and make a decision. Anything from Audioengine, Mackie, KRK, Maudio and the likes will do a good job and save you the hassle of having to have a seperate amplifier.

If you do want to go the amp+speaker route, maybe you can consider some of the low power T amps and compact amps to save money and space and look for high sensitivity passive speakers.

Jan 19, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #3 of 4
I got the particular TT that I did because it was entry level and inexpensive. Are there any TTs you'd recommend in which I can really start to hear the advantages of vinyl? I'm not that well versed in this world, but I would like to get more into it, but can get lost in the niche-ness of the information available. Are there any resources or past threads, etc in which I can figure out what the differences between pre-amps, cartridges, needles, etc?

Jan 19, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #4 of 4
Lots of threads really, there have bee quite a few threads regarding entry level TT's and cart upgrades. I for one feel that for people who are new to the whole thing, its better to start with a new unit, and then move on to used so you know what to look for in a used unit. Rega's RP1 and P1 are very good starter TT's and the Project Debut is also pretty decent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back