Turntable setups under $2000
Jan 30, 2013 at 2:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

rockstream

New Head-Fier
I'm interested in knowing peoples opinions on the best complete turntable setups( could be used) in the $1500-$2000 range (including deck,arm and cartridge).
 I'm a total tt newbie, but would like to start off with a somewhat decent tt setup that would last a long time without feeling the need to upgrade.
 I listen to mostly rock/pop type music, largely from the 60'/ 70's/80's,and want to have a deeper bass( early Beatles albums). Also enjoy a lot of female vocal albums such as Adele etc. I would like a setup to suit such tastes and match my current system: amp: YBA Integre DT, loudspeakers Polk Audio LSI15, CD player Exposure 3010.
 Any advice would be much appreciated.

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #2 of 13
wow..nobody's jumped in...though I guess your question isn't exactly "high-end", but nonetheless.

I would go for a VPI Traveller or a Scout.  The Scout is maybe like $1,400, maybe even with a cartridge.  That leaves you a decent chunk of change to buy a phonostage if your amp/receiver does not have one built in.

Either one of those turntables should last you one hell of a long time...with the Traveller being more "entry level" but its still over $1k.

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #3 of 13
I chose the VPI Scout Route, but with the Scout Sig, Denon 301K mk2, and Cover, it was closer to $2500.

For a hard 2K budget, I would look at the Traveller of course, and the Rega gear.  The Rega stuff comes with a cover, and their Rega cartridges mount easily without fuss.

Consider other things though in your budget.

Phono pre - unless you are using a receiver/amp with phono input.
Some form of record cleaner. (Disk Doctor D4, Spin Clean, on up to a vacuum record cleaning machine)
A carbon fiber brush.  (Audioquest is a common choice)
A stylus force gauge (Shure makes a cheap, non-electronic, one that works well)
Stylus cleaner (easy to find Mr. Clean "magic eraser" found at the grocery store, if not currently in your cleaning cabinet)

All of these items can start gently and move up to whatever you want to pay of course, I just mentioned some entry level gear.

Good luck, and happy hunting at the flea market or wherever you look for records.

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #4 of 13
[size=medium]Thank you guys , for your help, very much appreciate! Now need some more advice:[/size]
[size=medium]I managed to auditioned  Music Hall MMF2.2 with Music Hall Tracker cartridge =$525, J.A. Michell  Tecnodec with RB250 Special arm and ClearAudio Aurum Beta cartridge=$2900, and Rega RP3 with Elys2 cart =$1395  at my home with my YBA Integre + PolkAudio LSI15. [/size]
[size=medium]Music Hall gives neutral, good sound, with gentle and deep bass, but lucks details. I decided to take it as a zero point. Then TecnoDec  produces very nice, detailed sound, especially in midrange and treble, but definitely lucks bass! Although this is a class-B Stereophile deck with the cartr that costs $600.[/size]
[size=medium]Rega RP3 sounds  much louder, more detalied  than Music Hall, tight bass and midrange, but sounds little bit harsh, not so pleasant as the first two.( May be those metal braces make the sound so harsh?)[/size]
[size=medium]So I feel very confused, I’d love to have sound of Tecnodec but with much more bass, and for less money! Is it possible?[/size]
[size=medium]And what really matters in case of sound quality- cartridge, tonearm, turntable?[/size]
[size=medium]Cause I started thinking, what if to buy  good, expensive cartridge and put it on a budget turntable, or it doesn’t make any sense? [/size]
[size=medium]Many questions, I understand, but please, clear up my mind![/size]

Feb 2, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #5 of 13
Being a Scout owner myself I'm actually looking to upgrade. I plan to sell my Scout for around $1200 without a cart (I'll be keeping my 20X for my new TT). That being said, I haven't heard anything better in the price range. 

So that gets my vote.

Feb 2, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #6 of 13
I actually use a Pro-Ject 2 Xperience Classic with a Sumiko Blue Point No 2 cartridge. It's been a great deck for me and very easy to set up. They used to retail for over $1500 but have come down in price since Pro-Ject introduced another deck just above it in price. The three in this category I always recommend are my Pro-Ject, the VPI Scout, and the Clearaudio Concept. The Pro-Ject is now the cheapest of three, but for your needs the Concept might be the way to go. Any of those three tables should be able to do justice to nicer cartridges or phono stages as you upgrade.

Feb 3, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
Being a Scout owner myself I'm actually looking to upgrade. I plan to sell my Scout for around $1200 without a cart (I'll be keeping my 20X for my new TT). That being said, I haven't heard anything better in the price range. 

So that gets my vote.

Let me know-- I'm in the market.  I pulled out my old Sony and Rotel setup tonight-- started playing records for the first time in years-- only to gag on my own sound.  HD800 w/Woo WA5LE reveals every single weakness in the signal chain.  I was so disappointed!  

Feb 3, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
wow..nobody's jumped in...though I guess your question isn't exactly "high-end", but nonetheless.

I would go for a VPI Traveller or a Scout.  The Scout is maybe like $1,400, maybe even with a cartridge.  That leaves you a decent chunk of change to buy a phonostage if your amp/receiver does not have one built in.

Either one of those turntables should last you one hell of a long time...with the Traveller being more "entry level" but its still over $1k.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest.  VPI makes EXCELLENT turntables!  And they're made in the good ol' USA too!

Feb 4, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

So that gets my vote.

What do you think you're going to upgrade to? I have a Technics 1200 MK2 (I could have bought a VPI Traveler for about the same price, maybe should of), and I'm looking to upgrade probably to something in the $2000-3000 range eventually. I'll still probably keep the Technics though.

Feb 4, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #10 of 13
I'll be getting a Well Tempered Lab Amadeus, upgrading my phono stage to an Avid Pellar, and keeping my 20X cart for now. 

I was also considering a Kuzma Stabi/Stogi combo, Rega P8, and a Nottingham Interspace SE. 

EDIT: Well, I think I'm pretty set on the Amadeus anyway. And it had the highest WAF.

Quote:

What do you think you're going to upgrade to? I have a Technics 1200 MK2 (I could have bought a VPI Traveler for about the same price, maybe should of), and I'm looking to upgrade probably to something in the $2000-3000 range eventually. I'll still probably keep the Technics though.

Feb 4, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #11 of 13
I would highly recommend VPI Scout being a scout owner too. Even the Grado Black cart (70 bucks) sounds good with your type of music. I'm also upgrading to Scout II w/ JMW 9 Sig arm and this time I want it new as it will stay for good.

Feb 5, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #12 of 13
[size=medium]Thanks for help,guys, very much appreciated.[/size]
[size=medium] And as I’m diving deeper into analog, and ready to spend up to 2500 for TT set up, have some more questions: [/size]
[size=medium]Pro-Ject RPM9.2 evolution witn  Ortofon 2M Black=$600 sounds very, very nice, detailed, open, but still lacks bass in comparison with Music Hall MMF2.2 with Tracker=$100 or Rega RP3 with Elys 2[/size]
[size=medium]Pro-Ject RPM5.1 with Ortofon 2M red=$99, sounds as very budget MMF2.2, just louder in high frequencies.[/size]
[size=medium]Pro-Ject RPM 9.2 sounds  close to Michell Tecnodec with ClearAudio Aurum Beta cart, but more enjoyable personally.[/size]
[size=medium]So questions:[/size]
[size=medium]1: why budget Tracker or Elys 2  give more powerful and deeper bass than more expensive carts?[/size]
[size=medium]2: What TT is the best from: Pro-Ject RPM9.2 Evolution, VPI Scout / JMW or Thorens TD309?[/size]
[size=medium]3: Can I use the same cartridges  for VPI Scout  unipivot  JMW tonearm and let say Pro-Ject or Thorenc classic tonearms?[/size]

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:
I would highly recommend VPI Scout being a scout owner too. Even the Grado Black cart (70 bucks) sounds good with your type of music. I'm also upgrading to Scout II w/ JMW 9 Sig arm and this time I want it new as it will stay for good.

I am pretty sure you could upgrade your Scout to where you are wanting to go.  I know the Sig upgrade is just a new arm. (having 2 arms lets you swap cartridges easily, say an older cartridge to check on the garage sale LP, and a higher quality cartridge on the Sig arm for more critical listening.)

The aluminum platter, and the tonearm raising block are another upgrade that should fit your table.  Give them a call at VPI, and price things.  I am not sure whether you would do better buying the whole package and selling your existing, vs buying the upgrade parts separate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back