Turntable set up
May 7, 2013 at 5:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

headphone man07

100+ Head-Fier
Help me please...
looking to buy a turntable>headphones set up and anything inbetween  already got the headphones, and the turntable will need to be under $150, I know, not many options but what can I say
thanks in advance

May 9, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #2 of 4
Hey,

For the sub $150 turntable (TT), you can try looking for old used ones maybe in ebay or craigslist. Always opt for COD where you can inspect the condition of the TT before making payment, postage might also damage the TT if the seller doesn't know the proper way to pack it for shipping. Pay attention to everything on the turntable; the tonearm, cartridge and stylus, plinth condition, platter, etc.

If you have never had any TT before, I'm pretty sure you've never had a phono stage/phono preamp. It is an amp that amplifies phono signal from your TT to line level signal to be fed into an amp, and afterwards your headphones.

So to recap: you need a turntable and a phono preamp.

Can you stretch your budget a little more? With what you have now, it might provide you with unsatisfactory quality (then comes the vinyls that you need some more money for the care and cleaning utilities).

May 10, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #3 of 4
I just finished writing a fairly comprehensive "How to buy a turntable" guide of my own, on my blog. It covers not only purchasing (new or vintage) but how to set it up once you get home. Hopefully you can find it useful information. I am also looking for feedback from some of the pros around here

May 10, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #4 of 4
thanks guys, I won't be doing this for a while, but the thread will be right there in my bookmarks 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back