Turntable Recommendation? Fiio K5 Pro + Sennheiser HD600
Dec 8, 2021 at 6:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Lalapuni

100+ Head-Fier
Hello.
I'm looking to check out the turntables and vinyl, out of curiosity... Does it sound different? Better? Or is the flac CD as good as things get?

My budget is under 350-400$, though I'd prefer to not break the bank and get something cheaper if the difference between 350-400$ models isn't huge. Like the dac/amp situation, for example. I've tried some more expensive dac/amp combos and they didn't give me the impression that they have better impact on sound compared to the cheaper K5 Pro.

Any recommendation? Headphones I'll use would be Sennheiser HD 600.

Also, if the turntable has a better amp, I don't need to use Fiio for it, right? Or would it still be required? I don't imagine every turntable (or any?) would have a 6.35 headphones jack?

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #2 of 7
If you want to get into turntables, you should still get a schiit mani phono-pre-amp:

https://www.schiit.com/products/mani

For turntables, you can check yelp and even google for record stores that buy/sell/trade turntables. The better stores will have expert refurbishing of the needles/belts, solder repair, and parts replacement in their reviews, as well as a wider selection of higher-conditioned used records. Yes, you can check for turntable repair shops, but a majority of those are over-priced, so getting a used turntable that has been professionally refurbished one already solves a majority of problems with older turntables.

Dec 8, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #3 of 7
Vinyl isn't better or worse per se, just different. Analog vs. digital. From a resolution standpoint, a FLAC CD is as good as things get, but it's like the difference between a solid-state amp and a tube amp - the "warm, analogue" sound is really just distortion that sounds good to our ears.

A turntable is unlikely to have an amp. A good turntable, at least. The typical vinyl chain is turntable --> phono preamp (NECESSARY) --> preamp/amp --> output device (speakers or headphones).

I'm a big vinyl head and a massive proponent of vintage. You get so much more bang for your buck with vintage turntables. Unlike headphones, or speakers, or even amps, there hasn't really been any technological updates affecting sound in, like, 40 years. If you let me know roughly where in the world you are, I'd be happy to check your local listings and come up with some suggestions.

But you're also gonna need a phono preamp. I use the Schiit Mani, which is $129 and can handle both MM (moving magnet - higher output) and MC (moving coil - lower output, greater detail) cartridges.

For choosing a deck, you're going to want to consider a few things:

- Do you want automatic features (full-auto = push a button, the deck lifts, positions and drops the tonearm and starts playing and when it's done lifts the arm and returns it to the stand; semi-auto = you lift the tonearm and set it to start playing but when the record is done it automatically lifts the arm and moves it back; manual = what's on the tin).
- How much are you willing to invest in a cartridge? Cartridges range from about $50 to more than my VCs cost me, generally for a new vinyl listener I recommend an Audio-Technica AT-VM95E ($69). This will also depend on what cartridge comes with the deck, and, if vintage, how much life is in the stylus.
- What kind of drive do you want? Turntables come in direct-drive (the motor is connected directly to the platter, which spins), belt-drive (the motor turns a belt which is connected to the platter, which spins) and idler drive (the motor turns a rubberized wheel which is touching the platter, which spins). If interested I can go into a touch more detail on the differences.

Hope this helps. Let me know!

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #4 of 7
Just a word of warning, if you're getting into vinyl, get into it at least in part because you enjoy the ritual of putting on a record and listening all the way through. You sacrifice a lot of convenience going from digital to vinyl. I love the vinyl sound, but you don't buy a turntable because you want the ultimate fidelity, you buy one because you:

- Like having physical copies of your music
- Like the analogue sound
- Enjoy listening to an entire album (or at least half of one) in a sitting

Dec 14, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #5 of 7
Just a word of warning, if you're getting into vinyl, get into it at least in part because you enjoy the ritual of putting on a record and listening all the way through. You sacrifice a lot of convenience going from digital to vinyl. I love the vinyl sound, but you don't buy a turntable because you want the ultimate fidelity, you buy one because you:

- Like having physical copies of your music
- Like the analogue sound
- Enjoy listening to an entire album (or at least half of one) in a sitting
thanks for the advice

1. I don't really care about physical copies of anything anymore, except books which feel better to read compared to Kindle.
2. I haven't listened to analogue and don't know anyone who has it.
3. Yes

As for the previous message, I've seen a few turntables which have that phono thingy included and it seems like vinyl is a consistent money-investment which I can't afford. The thought of my amp (for digital audio) breaking is scary enough, let alone 500$+ total machine. So, I'll probably stay away from all this, thanks.

My initial idea was to get vinyl and treat it as "dessert". So, if I really like some album, I'd listen to it on vinyl afterwards. But if there really is not much difference, other than analogue sound, there's no point? How do the portable players or digital amps replicate the vinyl sound? I've had Sony NW-A55 which has a filter that makes the sound warmer and similar to vinyl. Are more expensive amps or portable players able to get that sound?

Dec 14, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #6 of 7
thanks for the advice

1. I don't really care about physical copies of anything anymore, except books which feel better to read compared to Kindle.
2. I haven't listened to analogue and don't know anyone who has it.
3. Yes

As for the previous message, I've seen a few turntables which have that phono thingy included and it seems like vinyl is a consistent money-investment which I can't afford. The thought of my amp (for digital audio) breaking is scary enough, let alone 500$+ total machine. So, I'll probably stay away from all this, thanks.

My initial idea was to get vinyl and treat it as "dessert". So, if I really like some album, I'd listen to it on vinyl afterwards. But if there really is not much difference, other than analogue sound, there's no point? How do the portable players or digital amps replicate the vinyl sound? I've had Sony NW-A55 which has a filter that makes the sound warmer and similar to vinyl. Are more expensive amps or portable players able to get that sound?
Vinyl is expensive, yes. It's as much a collection hobby as it is an audio one. I unfortunately couldn't tell you whether a digital player can replicate it, but I do find that running a digital source through a tube amp does a nice job of giving you that analogue feel - keeping in mind that the 'analogue' feel of tubes is basically distortion that sounds really nice to our ears. Something like a Darkvoice or a Bottlehead Crack can give a lovely warm, natural, analogue sound to your listening. They're also a great pairing with your Senns - OTL tube amps and high-impedance headphones are a match made in heaven.

A Bottlehead Crack will run you $350 for the kit (it's a DIY project). A Darkvoice will run you about $250 - I think Drop has them and Apos Audio will typically price-match them. If you're at all comfortable with or interested in soldering, the Crack is a much nicer amp. I started with the Darkvoice, spent a lot of time learning how to solder and tinker with electronics overhauling it to sound better, and ended up getting a Crack and building it. It was quite fun, and the instructions are insanely clear and good.

Dec 15, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #7 of 7
Vinyl is expensive, yes. It's as much a collection hobby as it is an audio one. I unfortunately couldn't tell you whether a digital player can replicate it, but I do find that running a digital source through a tube amp does a nice job of giving you that analogue feel - keeping in mind that the 'analogue' feel of tubes is basically distortion that sounds really nice to our ears. Something like a Darkvoice or a Bottlehead Crack can give a lovely warm, natural, analogue sound to your listening. They're also a great pairing with your Senns - OTL tube amps and high-impedance headphones are a match made in heaven.

A Bottlehead Crack will run you $350 for the kit (it's a DIY project). A Darkvoice will run you about $250 - I think Drop has them and Apos Audio will typically price-match them. If you're at all comfortable with or interested in soldering, the Crack is a much nicer amp. I started with the Darkvoice, spent a lot of time learning how to solder and tinker with electronics overhauling it to sound better, and ended up getting a Crack and building it. It was quite fun, and the instructions are insanely clear and good.
isn't it just easier to get warm signature headphones, though? Like ATH-R70X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back