Turntable next steps
Jan 26, 2010 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

dasmb

Head-Fier
I recently picked up a lovely Pioneer PL-518 down at my local record shop. Speed is right on, all controls work well. I carefully slotted and adjusted a new Ortofon OM-5E, and what I have surpasses (by inches) my fully auto Sony. Preamp is one of these, and I like it alright: Phonopreamps.com TCC TC-750LC Details and Hookup

My collection consists of some modern re-pressings but more 60s-80s consumer grade records in fair to very good condition. It seems likely this is the part of the collection that will be growing most rapidly, so I'd like to optimize my system to get the most out of them. Specifically, to decrease surface noise, sibilance and "cracks" on otherwise clean records, which the 5E seems to accentuate.

Really, though, I'm lost when it comes to turntable tweaks and upgrades. How do you know what to upgrade, and what to upgrade with?

Because they're the easiest to replace, I'm specifically wondering about how cartridges and slip mat upgrades affect the sound. How noticeable is the affect? Is it the size of the stylus that matters for noise reduction? The shape? The brand name?

Jan 27, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #2 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by dasmb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently picked up a lovely Pioneer PL-518 down at my local record shop. Speed is right on, all controls work well. I carefully slotted and adjusted a new Ortofon OM-5E, and what I have surpasses (by inches) my fully auto Sony.

The first thing you should do is upgrade the cart. This OM-5 is completely mismatched with the arm on the Pioneer 518 which has an effective mass of 16-17gms.

The Ortofon is happiest on ultra low mass arms like the SME 3009S2 and Series III or Infinity Black Widow. It was the standard cart in the '80s on the ULM arm on the Dual CS-505 and you often see it bundled these days with Pro-Ject decks which have a medium mass arm of around 9.5-10gms, but any higher than this is a compliance mis-match which results in distortion and increased resonance.

You should get hold of a Denon DL-110 / 160 or if funds don't run to that an Audio Technica AT95E would be the least expensive cart which can mechanically work with an arm like this.

Next thing to do is look at what the deck is sitting on. What are your floors made of?

Jan 27, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 36
The other thing that will make a HUGE difference, especially with the kind of records you are buying, is a wet-vacuum record cleaning machine. This will make a HUGE difference in surface noise - there is nothing like a completely clean record. These aren't cheap, but the mostly-manual Nitty Gritty is about $350 and still does a great job. You really can't imagine how much quieter records are when they are cleaned by a one of these.

Jan 27, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #4 of 36
I agree on the record cleaning machine; my VPI HW-16.5 is one of the best purchases I have ever made. It's a couple of hundred dollars more but still on the cheap end of these units, and the design of this model has been unchanged in over three decades if that tells you anything.

As far as surface noise, there are also record flatteners, and de-magnetizers, very pricey but reportedly worth it; an anti-static gun is next on my list as they are much more reasonably priced, and sorry about your wallet!

Jan 27, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #5 of 36
I use a 16.5 too - and it's the single best vinyl-oriented purchase I ever made, by far. It was a revelation.

Jan 27, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #6 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use a 16.5 too - and it's the single best vinyl-oriented purchase I ever made, by far. It was a revelation.

x3, 4, 5 and 6!

vpi165820largevj1.jpg

Jan 27, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #7 of 36
Also using a VPI 16.5. It is an absolute must to have a RCM if you plan to enjoy vinyl for what it is. All things equal, digital can't TOUCH the vinyl sound. Just telling it like it is
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #8 of 36
VPI 16.5 +1. very required for the used record hunter.

Jan 27, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #9 of 36
The overwhelming majority of my vinyl collection are records I bought used. Many of them cost me $1 or less each.

Jan 28, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #10 of 36
Heh yes I am getting the vibe. Clean is a big deal and brushes ain't good enough.

I'm going to try a few DIY tricks (DIY Record Cleaner) while looking for a fair price on a used record vacuum. My local shop has a TON of good stuff in their $3 bin and I'd love to be able to play 'em.

Floors are hardwood; table is on essentially a 4 foot box made of 3/4" oak panels with oak shelves screwed into the sides. Original feet and springs (though the rubber has rotted out and been tacky glued to keep the feet from falling off when moved)

Jan 28, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The first thing you should do is upgrade the cart. This OM-5 is completely mismatched with the arm on the Pioneer 518 which has an effective mass of 16-17gms.

The Ortofon is happiest on ultra low mass arms like the SME 3009S2 and Series III or Infinity Black Widow. It was the standard cart in the '80s on the ULM arm on the Dual CS-505 and you often see it bundled these days with Pro-Ject decks which have a medium mass arm of around 9.5-10gms, but any higher than this is a compliance mis-match which results in distortion and increased resonance.

You should get hold of a Denon DL-110 / 160 or if funds don't run to that an Audio Technica AT95E would be the least expensive cart which can mechanically work with an arm like this.

Compliance is going to take me a while to grok.

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:05 AM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyRay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x3, 4, 5 and 6!

Lol Ray, is that your pink LP with the butterfly? What is it?

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #13 of 36
And very nice cans, decks, and telephone as well. Is that wire seat for earthquake bass rumble?

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaizada /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also using a VPI 16.5. It is an absolute must to have a RCM if you plan to enjoy vinyl for what it is. All things equal, digital can't TOUCH the vinyl sound. Just telling it like it is
evil_smiley.gif

Vinyl, "the original Hi-Def"
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back