Turntable newbie
Dec 2, 2002 at 7:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

PAGEFAULT

Head-Fier
Hello all. I have a Reaslistic LAB-420 i got from my dad. Now I have droped the arm many times when I was younger. Im thinking that maybe I should get a new cartrage/nedle. How do I know? Were do I get one? What does anti-skate mean? what setting should it be on? Also what should the counter weight be on? Thankx!

Dec 2, 2002 at 9:46 AM Post #2 of 2
If the cartidge is eight years of age or older it's probably shot as the rubber suspension hardens with time (with or without use). This is the time folks either throw it away and purchase anew, or send it off for a rebuild in the case of the exotic ones.

The accepted practice is replacing the stylus every 1500 hours of playtime, but it is advisable to examine it under a 200X or higher power microscope every 500 hours to check for deformities.
Once the wear becomes audible the needle's already begun to carve up you irreplaceable records!

Quote:

What does anti-skate mean? what setting should it be on? Also what should the counter weight be on?

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/d.pl?audio/faq.html

Scroll down to the "Turntables & Vinyl" section. Everything you need to know is contained within.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back