Turntable needle needed!
Dec 10, 2017 at 12:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

PixelSquish

Previously known as idiotekniques
I haven't used my turntables in 15 years, and back then I only knew about DJ needles. My DJ'ing days are over and I need a good price/performance ratio turntable needle so I can rip my records to mp3. What are some models that might fit the bill these days? Thanks!

Dec 10, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #3 of 5
Dec 10, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #4 of 5
I assumed so when you said DJ but I didn't want to make an assumption. I have one myself, a like new SL-1200MK2 that I completely love. On mine I actually use a DJ cart, the Ortofon Concorde Pro S, but I use it with a STY10 hi-fi stylus. I like this setup because of the clean look and ease of setup, you can also upgrade up the STY line to the 20, 30, and 40. AT carts are very good on our table too, you can pick one based of price and stylus shape. The AT440MLb is discontinued but fantastic tracking wise and is available for $200 US. You should be looking at an elliptical as a base line. The Shure M97xe is a good cart too, and is widely available and is $100 US.

Dec 15, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #5 of 5
I would second those recommendations for Audio Technical. I have the AT120E, which I think is a step below the AT440, and it is superb, very balance and neutral but tracks fantastic, especially avoiding that inner groove distortion. I am not sure what the current incarnation would be, maybe the VM530 based on colour/price? These AT carts are a nice choice for archiving indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back