Turntable Interconnects
Feb 8, 2010 at 8:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Bones13

Headphoneus Supremus
Finally ordered a new turntable, but need to get/make some interconnects.

Are ICs for turntable to phono stage designed any differently from regular ICs?, other than the ground wire that is.

Considering redoing most of my ICs to replace the ratshack, and cheap best buy stuff over time.

Was looking at either some sort of coax, or mogami mini quad, and get shielding.

Lots of DIY cables out there, many pretty old now, any current/new thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Feb 8, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #2 of 4
It's still pretty straighforward. Mogami, startquad, good choices. I built a set of balanced cables last year with DH Labs cable + Neutrik connectors and they've been surprisingly good. If you want to braid your own, look on the forum here for litz (it's a braid design). Check out the parts and supplies at Partsconnexion. I imagine you could build a nice set from just one order.

Have fun!

Feb 9, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally ordered a new turntable, but need to get/make some interconnects.

Are ICs for turntable to phono stage designed any differently from regular ICs?, other than the ground wire that is.

The interconnects are the same in terms of wiring, but on most turntables, the interconnects are integrated & actually part of the turntable, as opposed to male/male ic's you plug in. Oftentimes the tonearm wiring is actually part of the interconnect in a single run of wire from the cartridge to the phono-peramp. VPI is one of the exceptions here, where they actually use an interface box on the turntable with female rca's, so standard interconnects can be used. (Upper photo) They do this because you can also buy a balanced version of the interface with xlr's, so you don't have to rewire the tonearm to go balanced.

3.jpg

Feb 9, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #4 of 4
I did get a Scout with signature arm. Finally found a place with them in stock, and ready to move them. The Scout 2 is out, and I think dealers with the previous models are now working on getting them sold.

I got my unit with the signature arm for a little less than retail on the regular scout.

I got a regular pair of ICs, as they seem to be very proud of any cable set with a grounding cable. I plan to fabricate a single ground cable to use with regular ICs when it arrives next week.

Was hoping to make a nice looking set with the RCA stereo pair, and grounding wire.

Lots of vigor and venom in the CableAsylum about making these cables. I will probably get a 2 conductor, shielded Mogami cable, and bundle the 2 cables, and one ground wire into some sleeve and shrink wrap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back