Turntable-->Integrated amp or preamp/amp-->Headphones- Feasible?
Apr 1, 2009 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

LingLing1337

CAUTION INCOMPLETE TRADES
I still need an amp to get my turntable running, and I've been looking at either an amp/preamp (Little Dot MKIII) or an integrated amp (which I understand is basically the same) such as the Transcendere Sweet-5. Will this be an OK setup, until I get a dedicated preamp?

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #2 of 8
Unfortunately, neither will work without also adding a dedicated phono stage between your turntable and the preamp/integrated amp. A regular non-phono preamp [as in the two mentioned] do not feature the required phono stage for direct plug and play with a turntable. Turntables are a bit different than other components [cd, tape, and video players] and require additional amplification and RIAA equalization to be usable. That's the purpose of the phono stage [i.e. phono preamp]--to provide a boosted, clean signal to the preamp/integrated amp.

Now, some solid state preamps/integrated amps/receivers feature built-in phono stages [although I'm not sure about tube amps], but the LD MKIII [preamp] and Trancendere S5 certainly do not.

So, your options: 1) a dedicated phono stage between the TT and one of the above amps, or 2) to search out an preamp/integrated amp [if using speakers, too] with a built-in phono stage. How do you know there is a built-in phono stage? The easiest method to check is probably a quick look at the back panel for a set of labeled "PHONO" inputs or a "PHONO" selector option the front panel. If you look at a picture of either the LD MKIII or Transcendere S5, you'll see neither feature dedicated PHONO inputs, only standard inputs.

Andrew

Apr 1, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #4 of 8
If there is an pre-amp or integrated amplifier out there with a phono input and a decent headphone output, then that would get you going. How about the Rogue Audio Metis preamplifier or Cronus integrated amplifier?

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
here is an inexpensive phono stage recommended by Skylab if you go that route. Phono Stage

Yep, the TC-760LC is an amazing little phono preamp for the money.

Apr 1, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #8 of 8
Yes, it would.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back