Turntable Help
Sep 29, 2014 at 2:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Ryukun

New Head-Fier
Hey Folks,

I'm looking to start a vinyl collection and need some help choosing a turntable. My budget is going to be between $100 - $300. So far I'm thinking about getting the Audio Technica AT-LP60 since it's fairly cheap, but I don't know if I would be wasting my money and time. I would want to connect the turntable to my current set up: (Mainly going to be using the speakers)
Matrix X - Sabre Dac
Emotiva A-100 mini-x Amp
Q Acoustics 2010i
Leckerton UHA-6s
Ultimate Ears Reference Monitors. 

Oct 9, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #3 of 3
Vinyl is a different hobby, as you know. Access to excellence depends on physical engineering, rather than digital, and that costs money.

For your budget, I would be tempted to buy vintage - get better value for something that has already lost the value it's going to lose and has stood the test of time.

To get you started, I would try to find a Lenco idler drive turntable. It is robust, there's a large 'aftermarket' for it of companies and enthusiasts who can present a) refurbishment advice and services, and b) an upgrade path and ready market for selling to, if you decide to do so. You could acquire a used Technics SL12xx deck and achieve similar results (with similar upgrade opportunities).

In this way, you can enjoy it straightaway, knowing that there are ways of affordably making it a lot better over time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back