turntable help
Dec 31, 2009 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

freakydrew

500+ Head-Fier
I am hoping Juniperlater or Unkle Eric come to the rescue here...
I recently purchased a darkvoice 336i amp, love the sound with my AKG K702's.

My father in law had a few turntables lying around and thought it would be great to hook this amp up to a turntable and listen to some great vinyl. A neighbour of mine has worked in radio forever and has a treasure trove of vinyl and today just gave me Supertramp live in Paris recorded in 1979 and never played ever. I am a huge Supertramp fane and very excited about this.

The turntable is a Sony "Direct-Drive Automatic Stereo Turntable System PS-LX310"...which means little to me. I plugged it in, plugged the RCA into the amp, started her up and the volume is non-existent!!! Such a let down. I have it cranked on the DV 336i, and can only just hear the record.

What do I need to do? I have a Zero DAC 2009 en route (currently held up in customs in Vancouver...) will this help me? Do I need something else to amplify the sound?

Please help!

oh and a Happy New Year to all! I am looking forward to a new year and a new decade of an ever thinning wallet!
beerchug.gif

Dec 31, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #2 of 15
You need a phono pre amp.

Dec 31, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #3 of 15
thanks!
will the Zero DAC suffice? Anyway I can use my computer as a pre amp...lol...or is that overkill?
I tried hooking up my Fiio E5 as a pre-amp but that only boosted the volume slightly. sadly using the darkvoice as a pre amp to the Fiio gives me the loudest volume, which is about a 3 still lol

thanks again

Dec 31, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #4 of 15
Yes - phono preamp needed.

Hook it up like this:

Turntable -> Phono Preamp -> Darkvoice

There are a lot of cheap phono preamps out there (I should make a thread about it):
NAD PP2
Music Hall Phono Pack
Hagerman Bugle (if you like DIY)
TC-750 (phonopreamps.com)

...and probably 100 more.

Note: don't mistake phono preamp for preamp. A phono preamp increases the output of a turntable. A preamp (sometimes called a control amp) that prepares the electronic signal of components for the amplifier. Sounds the same, but it isn't. Phono preamps are specifically created for the turntables.

Jan 1, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #5 of 15
I've been looking at a lot of "beginner vinyl" info around these forums as I have questions my self. There are a lot of posts like that which started this thread out there.... It would be nice to have some sort of a FAQ or something like that with some general setup tips and pointers, etc.

And to the OP, Uncle Erik linked the site below on an older thread. It helped clear the air on vinyl for me, maybe it will help you.

The Vinyl Anachronist

Jan 1, 2010 at 6:47 AM Post #10 of 15
Just to clarify... You need a phono preamp. It needs to provide RIAA equalization. A regular pre-amp will not work.

Jan 1, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by freakydrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
will the Zero DAC suffice?

I think not. While I'm not familiar with this specific device, in general a DAC converts a digital signal to analog for playback. Your TT outputs an analog signal to begin with.

Jan 11, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #12 of 15
just bought my first real turntable off ebay, a Lenco L82 Vintage Turntable Belt Drive. Looks really well maintained, parts seem easy enough to find. my problem is I am also the front runner for this:
AudiogoN ForSale: Thorens 166 MkII
I guess if I win this auction I will audition both and sell the one I like least.
I will be using the Bellari Vp-130 as a phono pre-amp.
my family all think I am nuts, my brother in law actually called me an "idiot" for going through our mutual father-in-law's record collection to pick some nice albums to listen to.

*sigh*

Jan 11, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by freakydrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just bought my first real turntable off ebay, a Lenco L82 Vintage Turntable Belt Drive. Looks really well maintained, parts seem easy enough to find. my problem is I am also the front runner for this:
AudiogoN ForSale: Thorens 166 MkII
I guess if I win this auction I will audition both and sell the one I like least.
I will be using the Bellari Vp-130 as a phono pre-amp.
my family all think I am nuts, my brother in law actually called me an "idiot" for going through our mutual father-in-law's record collection to pick some nice albums to listen to.

*sigh*

You would be basically getting a turntable for free because a Linn Basic Plus tonearm alone is worth almost $200 in good condition.

Jan 18, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #15 of 15
I did not win, should have spent a little more, but did not.
I will be receiving a Lenco L82 Belt drive Turntable this week won on ebay and also a Denon DP-3500 with an Infinity Black Widow Tonearm. The Lenco is belt drive and the Denon is direct drive. I am looking forward to listening to them both. I will keep whichever one I like best and sell the other.
Lots of threads on decent cartridges for the Black Widow, I think the first project will be learning how to replace the phono rca cables in the arm.
I really appreciate everyone's help!
p.s. the Bellari vp 130 phono preamp cam in the mail this week. amazing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back