Turntable / Headphone rig, quick question
Nov 1, 2009 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

kamcma

Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm interested in getting into vinyl. I've done some searching to find out what I need, and I'm seeing things about amps and preamps. I think some of this is directed at speaker folks. How much of this is applicable if I already have headphones and a headphone amp? Can I just connect a turntable to a headphone amp via RCA cables like I've done all along with digital sources?

Thanks.

Nov 1, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamcma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, I think I answered my own question. I need a phono preamp between a turntable and a headphone amp.

correct

Nov 2, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #4 of 13
Some amps have a phono amp built in! If they have a dedicated Phono jack they usually do.
But that wont help you if you are using a headphone amp.

Nov 2, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #6 of 13
Do any turntables come with the preamp built into it? So that way it could be treated as a line level source like everything else? Would audiophiles turn their nose up at such a turntable?

Nov 2, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamcma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do any turntables come with the preamp built into it? So that way it could be treated as a line level source like everything else? Would audiophiles turn their nose up at such a turntable?

I have never heard of such a table. And I don't think people would like in unless there were a way to bypass the preamp if it wasn't very good. It's a solid idea though. There are some nice phono stages out there that won't break the bank, sondont dispair.

Nov 2, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #8 of 13
There are turntables with built in preamps, however they are all quite low-tier, designed to make life easier for those who want simple playback, without much interest in fidelity

Nov 2, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #9 of 13
As a phono preamp, just buy a tcc-750 for 50$, it's dirt cheap and a good performer...being external you can upgrade it whenever you want, unlike a TT with built-in preamp...

Nov 7, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #10 of 13
A few of the TTs have a built in phono preamp section but may not be adequate for a good listening experience. Would recommend at least a Pro-ject phono box. I got mine almost new for $80 from Audiogon. Your safest bet would be a pro-ject phono, a cambridge audio 640P or at the least a good vintage receiver with a phono stage. Some of the vintage Marantz 22XX series or the Pioneer receivers have good phono stages.

Nov 7, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meliboeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a phono preamp, just buy a tcc-750 for 50$, it's dirt cheap and a good performer...being external you can upgrade it whenever you want, unlike a TT with built-in preamp...

I agree - the stuff from phonopreamps.com is insanely good for the money. This one will even allow the use of low-output moving coil cartridges. I have one of these as a "back-up", and really like it:

Phonopreamps.com TCC TC-760 Details and Hookup

Nov 7, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #12 of 13
Enjoy the vinyl. Best to try as many phono preamps as you can get your hands on. There are big differences in them. The worst sound weak and thin.

Nov 8, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #13 of 13
Music Hall MMF PHONO-PACK is a great unit. Just over a $100, it has variable loading options and MM and MC modes. It has very low noise levels (totally silent operation in my system), and it measures incredibly well. Distortion is very low (far lower than the cartridge and vinyl medium are going to produce!) and RIAA error is less than 0.2dB from 20Hz-20,000Hz in the samples I measured. If accuracy is your thing, there is no real upgrade from this pre-amp.

-Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back