Turntable choice: Stylus upgrade or Bottlehead Phono Pre?
Apr 4, 2003 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Matt

Are there any women on this board?
Hi.

I have a Music Hall MMF-5 with a Creek OBH-8 Phono Preamp and I've been eyeing the Goldring 1042 cartridge, but now I've been informed by Mantra Audio that dropping in the 1042 stylus (aka the D42) into the 1012gx cartridge body effectively makes the whole assembly a 1042, as the only difference is the diamond tip shape (big hint for posterity).

I would like to know if my money would be better spent on the stylus upgrade or a Bottlehead Phono Preamp kit. Is the jump to the better stylus bigger than the jump between the Creek OBH-8 and the Bottlehead Phono Preamp?

- SMM

Apr 4, 2003 at 9:05 PM Post #2 of 3
No way to know. If your stylus is worn, the replacement becomes critical, regardless of the sonic merits of either upgrade.

You might try the vinyl asylum over at audioasylum.com However, the odds may be small of finding someone who has heard both of the stylii and both of the phono amps.

Apr 5, 2003 at 2:04 AM Post #3 of 3
...yeah, I guess you're right. Well does anyone have any experience with the Bottlehead Phono Pre at all?

I guess the bottom line is that I am going to need the stylus anyways (possibly coming up on 800 hours sometime soon, assuming the seller of the 'table wasn't lying), eventually.

- Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back