Turntable Broke :(
Apr 13, 2007 at 8:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

juzmister

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey,
well this morning my motor was making funny noises, I figured out that the pulley was loose on the shaft. I brought in my friend mr blue tak, which wasn't very effective, then decided to bring in the big guns-Professor SuperGlue. Well it all worked, until a bit of glue that didn't dry went down into the motor. I had to get the motor out, and in the process I broke the pulley! So now I've got a nice table with no motor and no pulley.

The plan is to send the table back to www.soundofthewood.com and get the Over The Edge mods done. I think they will cost about $1000, do you think it would be better to get the mods done, or buy a new table for $1000?

Thanks in advance,
Justin.

Apr 13, 2007 at 10:10 AM Post #2 of 42
What type of $ are you quoting? AU or US?
If it had been my TT you went to tamper with I would have shot you. You don't mess about with things like that with super glue in your hand. I glued a VERY expensive arm on a board once, and guess what: I got it wrong. It has been like that for nearly 20 years. Only a month ago I met someone who might be able to remove the arm from the board without smashing the arm apart.

Best bet is to get a new TT or hunt for a motor. But doing $1000 of mods seems like overkill to me. If your TT needs that much spent on it before it delivers the goods, it could not have been that great a TT in the first place, no matter what make it is and how much it cost new.

Apr 13, 2007 at 1:20 PM Post #3 of 42
Oh, it was an amazing table before, just the motor was making funny noises, either way I would have had to have replaced the motor and the pulley. I would most likely get a new motor, a new pulley, new veneer work and a new platter. It will probably be about $600 shipped back to me, but the result should be pretty awesome. The biggest flaw in the previous table was the motor and the platter, it should be for the better.

I looked at buying a new table, but it will be about 2000AUD to get anything close.

13.jpg

That is what it will look like.
Justin

Apr 13, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #4 of 42
Now I am totally convinced I would have shot you. Right between the eyes and all. You think something is wrong with the platter? Best enlighten us a bit more. If the motor was noisy, that could be a result of the weight of the platter finally wearing the motor out. First I would do is to take the platter off and spin the motor up on its own to try to detect any noise coming from the motor. If you keep in mind that the noise will be dependent on the amount of revolutions that take place for each complete turn of the platter, you can also work out the frequency of the noise. I used this to pinpoint the location of the actual noise maker. I wouldn't think the platter needs changing.

However, most concerning is what I think I see with regards to the way that lovely SME MK2 is mounted. It's stylish, but I would have enough reason to want to amend the mounting. Unless I have gone completely bonkers I would say that you are missing out on a lot of musical detail. The SME arms are capable of a performance to justify their legendary status and eye watering eBay prices. I can see some gaps between the arm mounting plate and the mounting base. And are those a couple of long screws that go from the top to the bottom? If that was designed like that, then he needs to line up with you against the wall. Tons of bass is being squandered, and I suspect some or most of the accuracy in the detail of the tops. I would have used far thicker bars, dampened, instead of skinny screws. Take one of those screws out and drop it on a stone floor. Hear the ringing sound it makes. Now imagine audio waves from your stereo creating minuscule vibrations in those long screws. These vibrations are bound to upset the absolute rigidity of the surface on which the arm finds itself attached. That will in turn affect the accuracy of the arm in all 3 planes. Sound problems. I hope you use the arm damping fluids etc to keep that master piece in top notch. You can change the TT at anytime, just make sure you keep the arm. They are going up in prices by the day.

Apr 13, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #5 of 42
You my friend need to take a
Chill-Pill.png
That is NOT my table, that is what it will look like after the mods have been done. I'm getting my turntable fixed up, so that it will look like that table lol. You really need to read my posts better "That is what it will look like."

I really do not need your flaming, I simply had a bad day and messed up the table-it was £110 off Ebay. It needed a new motor from day one, it's 30 years old and didn't have the best time before I bought it. It was taking ages to get to speed, and was not functioning as it should.

I am simply asking if I could get better value for $800 for a new table, rather than fixing up the old.

Apr 13, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #8 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Justin if you do a little searching you can find replacement motors and pullies for the old AR turntables. I'll do some searching for you also. They are very easy to replace.

And while Eric at Sound of the Wood is a master at modifying AR turntables, this latest creation does have me scratching my head a little.

Thanks alot mate. I just think it looks quite good, and i've heard Eric does godo things...Didn't really think it through though. I've soldered out the old motor wires, is it fairly easy to put a new motor in there?

[size=large]Oh, and sorry, the mounting is temporary, he is designing a new one "The set-up, bearing and mounts are just temporary fixes for now." www.soundofthewood.com[/size]

SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION

Apr 13, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #10 of 42
Thanks for the help mate. I got a reply from Eric for the mods, do you think it is a waste of money?

Over the Edge modification kit ($389.00), This includes the following:
Premium 3.1kg Acrylic Platter
Sub platter modification kit
Platter spindle kit
Arm-board KIT (includes extra arm-board)
Main bearing modification kit

New spring and grommet set ($41.00)
Veneer work ($125.00) depending on amount of repair.
New motor $189.00
Pulley (50 hz) $60.00

Sub-Total US $804.00
April discount $100.00
$704.00
Shipping $135.00
Grand Total $ 839.00

Apr 13, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #12 of 42
I think it could be time for a tonearm upgrade??
eggosmile.gif
It will probably make a bigger difference than a new platter.

Apr 13, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are you using for a cartridge now ?

A goldring 1022gx

Apr 13, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #15 of 42
i can get an SME 3009/SII for $450...DO you think it would be a better upgrade than the platter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back