Turntable advice
Feb 14, 2006 at 8:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Vespasian

New Head-Fier
I've always been on the wall from switching from digital to analog. I think Alice is pulling me to the analog side, but don't have a clue on which turntable to buy. I read some on the rega line. Any suggestions. My price range < $2000.00 US

TIA,
Ves

Feb 14, 2006 at 10:44 AM Post #3 of 12
I second the VPI Scout recommendation. I’ve only read really glowing reviews about it. But I assume you realize, you’ll need a decent cartridge, phono stage, and well-insolated and grounded interconnects as well as a bunch of other necessary accessories such as cleaning tools, level and a gauge. And that’s not even considering the vinyl outlay.

Feb 14, 2006 at 12:59 PM Post #4 of 12
Rega P5 with your choice of cartridge and phono stage.

Feb 14, 2006 at 4:51 PM Post #5 of 12
The best thing to do is to find a dealer with demonstration rooms and take a few records along to listen to what they have. Vinyl is a very personal thing and there are much bigger differences in the sound of various set ups than amongst equivalently priced CD players.
With any luck they will also set it up for you and may even have a range of good quality 2nd hand decks as well as new models along the lines mentioned.
Other makes to consider are

Project
Music Hall
Roksan
Michell
Marantz

And 2nd hand stuff from the likes of Linn or Thorens but as its your first deck I would definitely buy from a proper dealer or maybe with a friend who knows about turntables rather than blind off the net.

Feb 15, 2006 at 6:49 AM Post #6 of 12
"I second the VPI Scout recommendation. I’ve only read really glowing reviews about it. But I assume you realize, you’ll need a decent cartridge, phono stage"

what would be considered a good cartridge and phone stage

Feb 15, 2006 at 5:16 PM Post #7 of 12
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....abl&1145030643

Here is a slightly used Scout (NO affiliation) for $1350. The Dynavector DV20-X cartridges work great and run around $500 new. A Scout package with that cartridge just sold when listed at $1550 so good deals are out there if you keep looking. You can start out with a simple phono stage (Bellari VP-129comes to mind) and upgrade later or spend a bit more now and be done. Based on rave reviews I'd suggest checking out the Dynavector DV20xL cartridge paired with the Dynavector P-75 phono stage (again around $500). If you read posts on audioasylum this combo is loved by many and is highly rated. I would also STRONGLY recommend one of VPI's record cleaning machines. I've got a 16.5 and love it. Easy to use and VERY effective. The best vinyl upgrade I ever bought. By shopping smart you can get this whole package for around $2,500. For cables I started with some Monster cables that retailed for $49/pr. and they sounded very good and had good shielding (no hum).

I spend probably $75-$100/month on vinyl. There are a few good used record stores by me where I can always find LP's in excellent condition for a few bucks each. I've had my Scout for almost a year and I couldn't tell you the name of the last CD I bought. It's an excellent table and I doubt you'll ever need to upgrade. To improve on it's sound and really notice a difference you'd have to spend a ton more to bring everyting in your system up to that level.

Good luck and good listening.

Feb 16, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #8 of 12
I've had both the Scout (with Scoutmaster upgrades) and now have the Rega P5. They are both excellent decks. The P5 was Stereophiles Analogue Component of the Year. You can't go wrong with either. The P5 will run you less money and leave you more room for a better cart and phono stage. I don't know if this one is still available: Rega P5. I am running a Shelter 301 high output mc cart and a RSA XR-2 phono stage.

Feb 16, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vespasian
I was offered a new and sealed Scout with a new Dynavector 20xh for $1779.

Good deal?

-ves

I think that's an excellent deal considering a Scout retails for $1600 and the cart $550.

Feb 17, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #12 of 12
The recommendation to go with a good dealer was a good one. I've found turntables to be fairly bullet-proof, but they are quite fussy over the peripherals – such as the sound of an arm or cartridge or the effect of a support - and very fussy when it comes to proper set-up of the arm and cartridge.

After a few years of playing around you'll know quite a bit of this for yourself but first time it would be worth having a dealer you can ask questions of.

One further thing: a decent phone stage is very important, so don't skimp on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back