Turning the conrad johnson CAV-50 into a SET amp.
Oct 3, 2003 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

stuartr

Loyal member of Team Useful Post.
Hi all. This may be a difficult question, but maybe somebody has an idea. I have a conrad-johnson CAV-50 amp:
cjone.jpg

It states in the amp's instruction manual: "Optionally, the CAV50 may be reconnected internally for triode operation of the output stage, for exceptionally musical performance, but at considerably reduced output power. the conversion is simple, but does require soldering."
I don't usually listen to music that loud, and my neighborhood is quiet, so I think it might be a good idea for me. I am just concerned that it might not be enough to power my B&W 805s. What do you think? The CAV50 puts out 22 wpc RMS into 8 ohms in triode mode. The 805s have a sensitivity of 88 dB and a nominal impedence of 8 ohms. They say that they recommend 50-120W into 8 ohms. This however, I assume is for solid state. Tubes put out approximately double right? I remember hearing that, I could be totally wrong. In any case, does this sound like it might work? I know it would be insane for the AKG-K1000s, which are already astonishing on this amp.
Assuming it would be a good idea, do you think it would be hard to rewire? I don't have much experience other than making some interconnects and doing very minor soldering.
Thanks,
Stuart

Oct 3, 2003 at 9:19 PM Post #2 of 2
If you don't listen too loudly, it may (note the use "may") be fine. If the 805's impedance curve is fairly flat that would help. I ran my Merlin's (87db, 8 ohm) with a 30watt 300b PP amp-- fantastic--and with a 10 watt 811 SET--not so good--both were very high quality amps, so it wasn't a quality issue.

Why don't you call CJ and ask them if a selector switch could be added so you can switch back and forth?

Just my op, but I am not a technical type.
redface.gif

gb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back