Turning off volume on ipod classic
Sep 12, 2007 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

cvn79

500+ Head-Fier
HI I just got my ipod classic and noticed when i slide the volume meter to 0 the sound is still audible unless I press pause. I was wondering if this is normal with the volume not completely turning off or I have a defective unit. Anyone can confirm this? Help much appreciated.

Sep 12, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #2 of 12
What headphones/IEMs are you using with it? Perhaps they are sensitive and can pick up faint noise.

Although...this shouldn't happen in the first place, methinks.
plainface.gif

Sep 12, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #4 of 12
I just checked this on my 80GB classic & found the same thing -- clearly audible (though low-volume) music when the volume is at minimum. Tested using ER6i & KSC75.

Sep 12, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #6 of 12
just pause the music. easy.

Sep 12, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #7 of 12
Agreed -- pause is what I normally do. I never even thought of the question until the OP asked.

Sep 13, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #8 of 12
That's good to know i guess. Thanks for verifying. I was kinda worried i have a defective unit since i'm pretty anal about having things working perfectly but looks like this is pretty normal. Yeah I normally press pause too but I wanted to set the volume to 0 to test if there was any hiss or noise. Maybe the volume could be fixed with a future firmware update since there seem to be some bugs with the new ipods

Sep 13, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i hav a silver 160gb classic, and same thing, out of the line out the volume at 0% and i still hear the music.

Reality check: do you mean the line out (LO) or the headphone out (HO)?

For those listening in:

The HO is the mini-jack on the iPod to which you plug in your headphones.

The LO is a line-level signal *not* controlled by the iPod's volume control. It is accessed by using a line out doc (LOD) plugged into the iPod's dock/sync port. the other end of the LOD is typically terminated with a mini-plug used to connect to an amplifier. Volume is controlled via the amplifier's volume control--not via the iPod.

Sep 13, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #11 of 12
My classic has the same. Audible sound at 0% volume from the HO. This does not bother me at all. As other have stated thats what pause is for
eek.gif

Sep 14, 2007 at 7:18 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Reality check: do you mean the line out (LO) or the headphone out (HO)?

For those listening in:

The HO is the mini-jack on the iPod to which you plug in your headphones.

The LO is a line-level signal *not* controlled by the iPod's volume control. It is accessed by using a line out doc (LOD) plugged into the iPod's dock/sync port. the other end of the LOD is typically terminated with a mini-plug used to connect to an amplifier. Volume is controlled via the amplifier's volume control--not via the iPod.

i usually listen thru the LOD, but for the purpose of this thread i tested it with the HO and had the volume issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back