Turning of display cdplayer, does it matter for SQ?
Dec 19, 2005 at 1:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

cylanes

100+ Head-Fier
Hey,

I have a marantz cdplayer and there is a possibility to turn of the display.

Should turning off the display affect the sound quality in a good way?
The manual says so, but doesn`t explain it.

Dec 19, 2005 at 1:58 PM Post #3 of 16
What model CD player do you own?

I have the Marantz SA-15S1 and feel that turning off the LCD display has not made an audible difference. Really depends on the player's overall design and characteristics.

Dec 19, 2005 at 2:31 PM Post #4 of 16
Though this doesn't answer your question about a possible audible difference between display-off and display-on, on one particular model (I think it was a Wadia), Stereophile measured lower jitter with the display off.

EDIT: Here's a link to the page on Stereophile http://www.stereophile.com/digitalso...40/index7.html.

Dec 19, 2005 at 2:33 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by THeX
What model CD player do you own?

I have the Marantz SA-15S1 and feel that turning off the LCD display has not made an audible difference. Really depends on the player's overall design and characteristics.

I have the Marantz CD-5001

Dec 19, 2005 at 4:51 PM Post #6 of 16
The ability to turn off the display is nice because sometimes they're just too bright in a dark room. I can't really hear it but, yes, supposedly they reduce noise inside the player. The display is likely refreshed at a very high rate (Mhz area.) This constant switching creates small levels of radio emissions inside the player which can emmenate back into the sensitive circuitry. Proper grouding a power-plane routing can minimize these problems. I've personally never been convinced it's a problem because the transport and any kind of DSP or microcontroller also runs a constant clock in the 12-40 MHz range. I suppose it is measureable, but I wouldn't be too concerned with it. Purists demand a defeatable display option though.

Dec 19, 2005 at 6:50 PM Post #7 of 16
If turning off the light on your CD player really made a difference in the sound, everyone would be sitting in a dark room to listen to their stereo. (And some audiophiles would be sneaking around their neighbors' fuseboxes to shut off their lights too!)

It's there for one reason and one reason only... So it doesn't blind you with blue glare if you turn the lights off to listen to Dark Side of the Moon.

See ya
Steve

Dec 19, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #8 of 16
Iirc, Stereoplay over here heard a found a well measurable difference in jitter between display on and off, when they reviewed the Marantz CD5400OSE. Personally, I'd assume vfds to be more problematic than led based displays or lcds in general.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Dec 19, 2005 at 8:34 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude
Though this doesn't answer your question about a possible audible difference between display-off and display-on, on one particular model (I think it was a Wadia), Stereophile measured lower jitter with the display off.

EDIT: Here's a link to the page on Stereophile http://www.stereophile.com/digitalso...40/index7.html.

Interesting. It's nice to be presented with facts, instead of dogmatic opinons that some like to offer to advance the "agenda."

Dec 19, 2005 at 10:50 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS
Interesting. It's nice to be presented with facts, instead of dogmatic opinons that some like to offer to advance the "agenda."

If one's considered opinion of jitter falls into the same category as lightbulbs affecting the sound, then the agenda is on the other foot!

By the way, they had switches to turn off the faceplate lighting LONG before anyone came up with the concept of jitter. I think Marantz had that on their high end receivers before there were CDs. By the way, my laserdisc player has the same feature called "movie mode".

See ya
Steve

Dec 19, 2005 at 10:58 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
If one's considered opinion of jitter falls into the same category as lightbulbs affecting the sound, then the agenda is on the other foot!

My "agenda" is to have an open mind that is willing to consider the possibility that some things might make a difference in sound, even if I personally have not heard any difference (and I have not heard a difference in turning the display off and on with my Arcam player).
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2005 at 11:30 PM Post #13 of 16
Well, we do know that when you add noisy things like TVs, refrigerators, washing machines and the like to the same electrical line as your audio gear, you get extra noise on the power line which can subtly degrade its sound. This is why power conditioners, but especially power regenerators, exist and can be effective. In the case of the regenerators,you are theoretically providing your gear with "perfect" power. They operate by isolating your audio gear from the rest of the stuff sucking power in your home and everything else on your local electrical grid.

So, to the extent that having the display on can cause some added grunge or noise within the player, I can see how it could slightly affect fidelity, but IMO, that effect will be very very small. My CDP has the option of turning the display off, and I'll be doing that now (never thought of it before). It can't hurt, and who knows, maybe it will affect sound in some very minute way.

Dec 20, 2005 at 1:02 AM Post #14 of 16
Both my Shanling cdps' displays had display dimmer settings (three levels of dimming but not totally off). The instructions for the original recommend dimming for minimal impact on the sound quality but the Mk II does not mention sound quality at all???

While I didn't do exhaustive tests on the original I couldn't hear any difference when I checked it. I never went back to test it after long burn-in though.

Dec 28, 2005 at 9:46 AM Post #15 of 16
You can comfirm the interference it generates by running your AM/FM radio tuner close to the displays. It is not equivalent to 'light bulbs' because they don't generate high frequency switching noises, etc as much as the common CDP display. Which is why the more expensive 'LED' displays don't generate as much noise either. How much it matters really depends on design and placement, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back