turn table + Hd650, and amp
Mar 9, 2009 at 3:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Devon8822

100+ Head-Fier
Im thinking about getting a darkvoice amp and HD650 headphones. Will I be able to hook these up with:

A. my turn table

B. My Mac (MP3s)

and how? thanks!

Mar 9, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #3 of 6
assuming you have the tone arm and cartridge and stylus that's included with your turntable. I would recommend getting an azur 640P phono preamp, that'll then plug into your darkvoice amp or amp of choice and then you plug your HD650s into that. Pretty self explanatory.

The mac - dac - amp - hd650 will work as well, I usually swap the interconnects from the phono pre to the dac when I want to switch listening between analog and digital.

Let me know if I can further clarify it for you.

Mar 11, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #4 of 6
mmm thanks, couple questions though.

phono stage?? is this in the TT? I have an amp that goes with the TT... maybe its in that?

could I go, TT (plus the obvious tonearm and cartridge). -> amp (the one that goes with the TT) -> darkvoice -> headphones

as for the mac... isn't their a DAC inside the mac?? or inside the headphone amp?

Mar 11, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Devon8822 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

phono stage?? is this in the TT? I have an amp that goes with the TT... maybe its in that?

could I go, TT (plus the obvious tonearm and cartridge). -> amp (the one that goes with the TT) -> darkvoice -> headphones

as for the mac... isn't their a DAC inside the mac?? or inside the headphone amp?

Technically, yes on both accounts. Most are going to tell you it's not going to sound the best. But then again they aren't going to pay for it either.
wink.gif
Eventually, you're going to want a dedicated DAC.

Edit: the amp that goes with the TT may be a preamp as a preamp is an amp. Plus, you can use TT with out preamp.

and

If the TT amp has a headphone out, you can just use that. No need for a dedicated headphone amp. Some older amps are supposed to sound good.

Mar 11, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

phono stage is a preamp that can amplify TT's low level output into line output, also converting the RIAA equalization into flat equalization - and yes, that should be that amp that comes with the turntable.

Quote:

Yes, unfortunately, D/A converter in mac is rather poor, and you would want to bypass that, using an external DA converter instead, if sound quality is your concern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back