turn my ibook into an audio powerhouse
Oct 30, 2004 at 11:33 PM Post #31 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
...i'm not even going to build a home system at first. i'm just going to have a portable system. most likely:

iriver imp-550
super mini moy
ety er4s

i would like a home system, but it's too much money right now because i've realized i don't really spend a lot of time listening at home. when i'm sitting down at home, i'm reading. i don't know about you, but i don't read and listen well at the same time

thanks, everyone. you've really got me thinking

Does this mean we helped you spend less money than you planned? Didn't think that was possible with this site
tongue.gif

BTW, check your PM for info about your iBook problem.

Oct 31, 2004 at 12:55 AM Post #32 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nospam
Does this mean we helped you spend less money than you planned? Didn't think that was possible with this site
tongue.gif

BTW, check your PM for info about your iBook problem.

thanks for the forum links. i couldn't find my exact problem, but i'll keep searching

anyone got any bright ideas?

and yes, i'm spending less. don't exile me. oh, please.....
wink.gif

Oct 31, 2004 at 1:12 AM Post #33 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
iTunes only supports Apple Lossless, which is a very good codec, but it is a pity that other lossless compressed codecs, such as Flac, aren't supported. I'm hoping it will be supported soon.

I agree that external drives can be a bit noisy. I try and keep mine a bit further away by using a long Firewire cable, but my LaCie d2 drives are still relatively quiet.

If Apple supports FLAC, I will probably convert everything to FLAC to have a truly universal music storage.

Oh, well. Monkeys swinging all over the place til then.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Oct 31, 2004 at 3:01 AM Post #34 of 57
here's where i am

1. going out of my mind

no, really:

1. home setup
nad 541i > headsave classic > allesandro ms-1

2. portable
ipod > koss portapros

i'm not selling the laptop, like i thought. if i change my mind again, i'm going to jump out the window
600smile.gif

Nov 5, 2004 at 2:38 AM Post #35 of 57
well, well. a new twist has occured:

my emac (yes, i had one of those too) was sold, busted in the shipping, and now i've got it for parts. so i be thinkin, can i use the hd from my emac, put it in an external hd case, and hook it up via firewire?

Nov 5, 2004 at 2:44 AM Post #36 of 57
Quote:

well, well. a new twist has occured:

my emac (yes, i had one of those too) was sold, busted in the shipping, and now i've got it for parts. so i be thinkin, can i use the hd from my emac, put it in an external hd case, and hook it up via firewire?

Yes.

Use a good-quality aluminum enclosure. If you're just serving music off of it, you won't need a fan.

Nov 5, 2004 at 2:45 AM Post #37 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
If Apple supports FLAC, I will probably convert everything to FLAC to have a truly universal music storage.

Oh, well. Monkeys swinging all over the place til then.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

I am waiting for FLAC support as well. There is a lot of great music to buy and download for free in FLAC. Disclogic.com has a lot of great music available in FLAC as does phishlive.com.

Nov 5, 2004 at 3:35 AM Post #38 of 57
so, i'm thinking:

quiet external hd

airport express

external dac ( benchmarc dac-1?)

do i need an amp? or can i go straight from dac to phones?

phones

also, i'd like to hook this up to speakers. i'm getting a little t-amp. i assume i can also hook the dac to that amp, and power speakers, right?

are there any good options for a dac, that would be more in the $400-$500 range?

Nov 5, 2004 at 10:06 AM Post #39 of 57
Quote:

Forget the DAC if you want to save a bit, but you're better off with a decent amp.

Don't get me wrong. DAC's are great, but amplification is better. You could always get the AOS PPA amp that is a DAC and a headamp.

Nov 5, 2004 at 11:05 AM Post #40 of 57
Well, the DAC1's amp is reputed to be very very good...

Nov 5, 2004 at 11:21 AM Post #41 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
Well, the DAC1's amp is reputed to be very very good...

I guess you're right, but the built in amp is supposed to sound about equal to a PPA.

Nov 5, 2004 at 4:16 PM Post #42 of 57
Quote:

so, i'm thinking:

quiet external hd

airport express

external dac ( benchmarc dac-1?)

phones

also, i'd like to hook this up to speakers. i'm getting a little t-amp. i assume i can also hook the dac to that amp, and power speakers, right?

are there any good options for a dac, that would be more in the $400-$500 range?

Well, the DAC-1 is $975, so I it's out of your price range.

I've heard very good things about the CI Audio VDA-1. It's around $350, plus $170 for the upgraded power supply.

There's also the AOS Piccolo, which is around $250. That give you another $250 that you could put towards a good amp (or just pocket the savings
280smile.gif
).

Nov 5, 2004 at 9:30 PM Post #43 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nospam
Well, the DAC-1 is $975, so I it's out of your price range.

I've heard very good things about the CI Audio VDA-1. It's around $350, plus $170 for the upgraded power supply.

There's also the AOS Piccolo, which is around $250. That give you another $250 that you could put towards a good amp (or just pocket the savings
280smile.gif
).

and those are high quality dac's? i've heard them mentioned before. i'll see if i can find some reivews

and the dac-1 isn't out of my price range, per se, it's just out of the "my wife will still talk to me after i buy this" range
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2004 at 9:32 PM Post #44 of 57
wonder how these amps, with the airport express setup, would compare to a dedicated cd player. any thoughts? i have been looking at the nad 541i. now, obviously if i get an external hd, airport express and a dac, it's going to cost more than the 541i or 542, but will it sound better? worse? any idea?

Nov 5, 2004 at 9:35 PM Post #45 of 57
oh, i forgot to mention; i will mainly be using a speakers setup (probably axiom m3ti), with a headphone setup as a secondary. i assume going from dac--> speaker amp would work fine?

do i need a specific type of speaker amp? what is "integrated", or "powered"?

if you think my budget's gone up, you're right
smily_headphones1.gif

damn you, headfi!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back