Turn me on to some good world music
Oct 30, 2007 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Sarchi

500+ Head-Fier
I have pretty limited exposure to "world music"....limited to stuff like Ladysmith Black Mambazo, the Cuban Buena Vista artists, Manu Chao, some bossa nova.

I would be interested in some latin, klezmer and African recommendations....and others, though to be honest I'm not that interested in South Asian music. Good sound would be a plus as well.
wink.gif

Oct 30, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #2 of 25
I'm also semi-interested in this. The only recommendation I could think of for you is "Sigor Ros". I'm not sure if it is classified as world, but it is sung in Icelandic.

Oct 30, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #3 of 25
"Gati Bongo" by Orchestre Baka de Gbine
"Gypsy Boogaloo" by Willie & Lobo (actually any album from them is good)
"Jehro" by Jehro
Anything from Anoushka Shankar (Yes, Ravi Shankar's daughter)

^Those are all albums, BTW

Oct 30, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by wes.coleman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anything from Anoushka Shankar (Yes, Ravi Shankar's daughter)

Cool, I'd noticed they're touring togther these days.

Of course, Ravi Shankar has another musician daughter, Norah Jones.

Oct 31, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #5 of 25
African Pearls, Vol. 1: Congo, Rumba On The River - an excellent two-CD compilation of Afro-Cuban music from the Congo. Cuban music was huge in Africa starting in the late '40s, but in Congo it was even more centered around guitar. Eventually, it turned into a buoyant funk style called soukous.

Another good African compilation:
The Music In My Head, Vols. 1 and 2 - Subtitled "indispensable classics and unknown gems from the golden age [the '70s] of African pop," and they're not lying.

Oct 31, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #7 of 25
I recommend Tibetan temple bowls. They are very relaxing and you can definetly get lost in them, though you may find them repetitive. A good cd to try out would be the aptly titled Tibetan Temple Bowls by Acama.

Edit: I don't know if Tibet counts as South Asian?

Oct 31, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #8 of 25
Big-ensemble Klezmer doesn't get better than Klezmer Conservatory Band, try their live album. For something more intimate and romantized, try the album Songs of My People by Simon Wynberg -- a beautifully recorded, lyrical album of Klezmer music in a chamber-music setting.

For immaculate sound you'll want to look at the two albums by Kol Simcha (Voice of Joy and Klezmer Soul ) under the label Hearts of Space.

My personal favorite Klezmer album is the self-titled one by a band called Jontef -- a warm, heartfelt and inviting collection of instrumentals and songs.

Oct 31, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by NacMacFeegle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't you try this thread
wink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...ghlight=fewtch

It's kinda long but there is some great stuff recommended in there.

As an aside I sure do miss Antiant.Wonder what he did...

He got banned after copy-and-pasting the death-row and the ending of the Harry Potter book. I've written to the admins to have him restored but no replies.

Oct 31, 2007 at 8:40 AM Post #12 of 25
For klezmer, you could try two groups from Cracow: Kroke, who mix klezmer with other east european folk music, and the Cracow Klezmer Band, who are at the more experimental end. They're both quite widely available in the west.

Oct 31, 2007 at 9:00 AM Post #14 of 25
Jesse Cook pretty much anything by him but most definately Free fall and Gravity. One of the finest Flamenco guitarists in the world. His label Narada actually has a lot of good "world" musicians on it.

Oct 31, 2007 at 10:42 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He got banned after copy-and-pasting the death-row and the ending of the Harry Potter book. I've written to the admins to have him restored but no replies.

Huh! So thats why...Thanks for the update Falcon...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back