TurboDock impact
Jan 24, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #16 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
But they do that through a separate cable, wired completely independent from the line out. Right?

See ya
Steve

Blame apple
smily_headphones1.gif
and their whole proprietary/strange designs.

btw. In essence there is way to skip the adapter in the chain, just by hard wiring the cable to the pins. but then this would leave out the option of switching interconnects.

Jan 24, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #17 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
Blame apple
smily_headphones1.gif
and their whole proprietary/strange designs.

btw. In essence there is way to skip the adapter in the chain, just by hard wiring the cable to the pins. but then this would leave out the option of switching interconnects.

The turbodock is nothing more then a convenience at a decent price for those that like to swap mini cables.

For me my sik ram din does just fine.

Jan 24, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #19 of 155
Quote:

thats not comparable, since the same effect is had by just utilizing the line out and disconnecting the charger. same thing.

but by not incorporating a USB/firewire, does is leave more room in the dock to use. It has nothing to do with effecting the sonic signal. The only thing IMO that would effect the audio signal, would be the quality of parts used in the dock.

Perhaps you're right...all I know about the Turbodock is what Turbo has said about it: Quote:

-- "The TURBOdock II" is a true hi-fi device. It only does line out (via a mini jack). No charging or nothing else. You won’t have to deal with or cut the extra Firewire cable. Also, you can get a clean line out sound and use it with any hi-fi device or cable.

-- Inside, only the audio pins are enabled. There are no other pins in this connector, so you don’t get any interference in the signal.

I find that the sonic differences between different cable materials/constructions are insignificant, but the effects of EMI and RFI are very significant. Since the power pins in the iPod's dock connector aren't shielded and are less than 1cm from the audio pins, I choose to believe the "clean line out, no interference" story.

You are, obviously, a big-time cable guy (and you do gorgeous work, BTW
tongue.gif
) and may likewise choose to believe whatever you like.

Jan 24, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #20 of 155
If you're using the pocketdock or Sik Ram, how is there power supply or RF interference if you're not using that portion of the connector?

Jan 24, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #21 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68
Perhaps you're right...all I know about the Turbodock is what Turbo has said about it:I find that the sonic differences between different cable materials/constructions are insignificant, but the effects of EMI and RFI are very significant. Since the power pins in the iPod's dock connector aren't shielded and are less than 1cm from the audio pins, I choose to believe the "clean line out, no interference" story.

You are, obviously, a big-time cable guy (and you do gorgeous work, BTW
tongue.gif
) and may likewise choose to believe whatever you like.

Hi there,
If you do not plug in the USB, there is nothing going through the dock connector via usb. so where would the interference come from?
DIY docks, just remove the USB jack. But if the dock did include a USB jack, if its not connected, I do not see where you going with this.

The pins are pins. You can solder anything you want to them. They only become active, when you run something through them.

you can remove the pins, you can leave the pins, if they are not used, nothing happens whether they are removed or left. If you remove the pins, it makes it easier to solder and prevents bridging to other pins.

Jan 24, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #22 of 155
Quote:

If you do not plug in the USB, there is nothing going through the dock connector via usb. so where would the interference come from?
DIY docks, just remove the USB jack. But if the dock did include a USB jack, if its not connected, I do not see where you going with this.

The pins are pins. You can solder anything you want to them. They only become active, when you run something through them.

you can remove the pins, you can leave the pins, if they are not used, nothing happens whether they are removed or left. If you remove the pins, it makes it easier to solder and prevents bridging to other pins.

Sorry, I don't really understand what you're asking/saying. If you have questions or comments about the Turbodock, why don't you address them to Turbo, the unit's inventor?

Jan 24, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #23 of 155
That's it, get TURBO over here!
tongue.gif

SO - the original question posted was: is there a sonic improvement when using the TURBOdock II over the the standard nano headphone jack....

does anyone have thoughts/experience to answer that question? Have we gotten any closer through our discussions here?

keep up the good conversations!

Rob
580smile.gif

Jan 24, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #24 of 155
I'm trying very hard to figure out how a connector with perhaps a quarter of an inch of cable inside it connecting two standard jacks can have any sort of effect on the sound at all. If the jacks were poorly manufactured and the dock connections bled, I can see how you might get noise... but I doubt that's the case. Dock connectors are stock items aren't they?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that there probably is no sonic difference at all between the Sik Din, Pocket Dock and Turbo Dock. You can tell me that I should go out and buy all three and find out for myself, but I'm not going to. I'm perfectly happy with my Pocket Dock.

See ya
Steve

Jan 24, 2006 at 5:38 AM Post #25 of 155
well i've been in the interesting position to own all three, some more than once, and at the same time, and imho the TurboDock II kicks their butt.
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 24, 2006 at 5:50 AM Post #26 of 155
OK - so it seems that I will benefit from a TURBOdock II (as opposed to stickING with the standard apple headphone jack on the nano)... CORRECT?????

nano headphone jack - good

TURBOdock II - better?

Jan 24, 2006 at 6:40 AM Post #27 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by RobG
OK - so it seems that I will benefit from a TURBOdock II (as opposed to stickING with the standard apple headphone jack on the nano)... CORRECT?????

nano headphone jack - good

TURBOdock II - better?

Rob, the line out, which is accessed through the dock connector on the bottom of your Nano is preferable for connecting an amp than the headphone out on the top. You can access this line out by using one of three products:

1. Sik Ram Din or Sik Din (if you want to use your Diamond mini)

2.Sendstation Pocket Dock

3. TurboDock II, which is similar to the product above. But it's cheaper and reportedly more transparent. PM him for orders.

Jan 24, 2006 at 8:38 AM Post #28 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68
Sorry, I don't really understand what you're asking/saying. If you have questions or comments about the Turbodock, why don't you address them to Turbo, the unit's inventor?

I dont have any questions about it, I was correcting your statement. I know exactly how docks are made. If anything Turbos is an improvement over the pocket dock, not because of the lack of USB, but because the parts in the dock should be substatially better.

the pocket dock uses a very cheap input jack and the signal wires have a thickness of 2 human hairs.

Jan 24, 2006 at 8:46 AM Post #29 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
well i've been in the interesting position to own all three, some more than once, and at the same time, and imho the TurboDock II kicks their butt.

Well, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but what exactly does that mean?

See ya
Steve

Jan 24, 2006 at 8:47 AM Post #30 of 155
Quote:

the pocket dock uses a very cheap input jack and the signal wires have a thickness of 2 human hairs.

Would that be about the same kind of wire used to connect the pins on a cartridge to the headshell of a turntable?

Edit: How about the wires in the ribbon cable that connects the iPod's internal guts to the dock port?

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back