TurboDock II
Dec 12, 2005 at 2:24 AM Post #31 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuks
I'm going to say no. I haven't been here long, so there may be some adaptor I don't know about, but the turbodock can't plug into a set of headphones, as they both have the same plugs at the end (can't plug one into the other).

I might be wrong.

Sorry, but you are wrong. It ends in a standard 1/8" plug which means it can be used with any headphones. Jahn's point is true though that the volume will be a bit low for most people's tastes. Well, the 5G has a nice little boost in line-out volume but other than that I wouldn't suggest it.

Dec 12, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #32 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder
Hmmm I think I need one of these for my Nano, wonder if they can be made in black
smily_headphones1.gif

I asked Turbo, he said not in the near future. I guess he has ordered a new batch of cases and its too late to get them in black.

Dec 12, 2005 at 5:10 AM Post #33 of 59
i like the look of the turbodock ii...but i think i'll keep my v. 1. it's not like the v. 1 is poorly-made at all...v. ii looks a bit sturdier, but methinks turbo just liked the new style a bit more (rounded and shinier to match the ipod). in any case, the TD+his mini->mini is a great combo, if you're thinking about doing it...

Dec 12, 2005 at 3:52 PM Post #34 of 59
want it in black?
either remove the casing or tape out the dock/jack, go to your local auto parts store, buy some black vinyl dye in a spray can, google something like "case mod vinyl dye tutorial" for a quickie on spraying plastics
vinyl dye is great - quick drying, easy to do.

Dec 12, 2005 at 5:29 PM Post #35 of 59
The tricky part would be the locking buttons on each side- how would you get those black without gunking up the button movement? I don't mind my dock being white, it's hidden in my bag usually anyhow.

Dec 12, 2005 at 6:34 PM Post #36 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef Medeski
Sorry, but you are wrong. It ends in a standard 1/8" plug which means it can be used with any headphones. Jahn's point is true though that the volume will be a bit low for most people's tastes. Well, the 5G has a nice little boost in line-out volume but other than that I wouldn't suggest it.

I see, I see. Sorry about that. I've been sitting here for a few minutes, figuring how to get it to work, and I realize I'm pretty stupid... For some reason, I thought he trying to do it without taking the interconnect out of the turbodock [Trying to set up a turbodock -> interconnect (like it's pictured on the site) -> headphones.]

I realize I'm an idiot!

Dec 12, 2005 at 9:20 PM Post #37 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuks
I see, I see. Sorry about that. I've been sitting here for a few minutes, figuring how to get it to work, and I realize I'm pretty stupid... For some reason, I thought he trying to do it without taking the interconnect out of the turbodock [Trying to set up a turbodock -> interconnect (like it's pictured on the site) -> headphones.]

I realize I'm an idiot!

Hope I don't seem like a jerk, but I'm reminded of Beavis and Butt-head trying to figure out the seat belts on the airplane.

Dec 12, 2005 at 11:23 PM Post #39 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef Medeski

I just got my Turbodock II. The line out signal from my 2G ipod mini is way too loud to feed my Little Dot Micro. I cannot turn the volume knob up beyond 9 o'clock. It's still too loud with my KSC75s, but I can't go lower because I will get a channel imbalance then. Maybe the Little Dot Micro's gain is too high.

I will try with the supermini3 and Corda Aria when I get them.

Dec 12, 2005 at 11:24 PM Post #40 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by shuttleboi
I checked out the link given earlier (http://www.fixup.net/talk/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1499), but there is no real information on how to buy the Turbodock. Is there a website to place an order?

You just need to PM him. He's a head-fi'er as well. Then he will give you a quote.

Dec 12, 2005 at 11:25 PM Post #41 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by shuttleboi
I checked out the link given earlier (http://www.fixup.net/talk/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1499), but there is no real information on how to buy the Turbodock. Is there a website to place an order?

He is a DIY, you have to PM him.

Dec 12, 2005 at 11:58 PM Post #42 of 59
While we are on the subject of iPod line out let me ask you this. I am a truck driver and use a cassette adapter to listen to my iPod in the truck, will I hear a differance in the quality using a line out adaptor instead of the headphone out?

Dec 13, 2005 at 12:23 AM Post #43 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by crewchief
While we are on the subject of iPod line out let me ask you this. I am a truck driver and use a cassette adapter to listen to my iPod in the truck, will I hear a differance in the quality using a line out adaptor instead of the headphone out?

This can be a yes or no. The main difference between headphone out and line out is the bass. The bass is noticablely much more impactfual. Other than that the difference is subtle, IMO. Therefore, if your truck speaker is weak on the bass, the improvement can be very considerable, but if it is not, probably hard to notice.

Dec 15, 2005 at 4:41 PM Post #44 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by solvexyz
This can be a yes or no. The main difference between headphone out and line out is the bass. The bass is noticablely much more impactfual. Other than that the difference is subtle, IMO. Therefore, if your truck speaker is weak on the bass, the improvement can be very considerable, but if it is not, probably hard to notice.

Sorry solvexyz, but I'll have to disagree there. I think that using a line out dock via cassette adapter makes a huge difference no matter whether you like bass or not. The whole point of using a line out dock is to bypass the Ipod's internal amp (which is pretty horrible) in order to pass a clean signal to an outside amplification source, in this case a car/truck stereo head unit. If one were to simply use the headphone out, the signal would be amplified twice which results in a loss of sonic quality/volume and often noticeable distortion (EQ or not). However, if you were to use the line out, you'd get a much cleaner sound from the Ipod. Though I don't have a Turbodock (yet....
rolleyes.gif
), I do use a Pocketdock in my car, and it makes an incredible difference.

Dec 15, 2005 at 7:29 PM Post #45 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by crewchief

I disagree with the others. I say yes you will hear a difference, but it's the other way around - using the headphone out will be better. That's because the line-out is too loud, which causes clipping on the cassette adapter. With the headphone out, 70-80% volume is good for the cassete adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back