Turbines vs Eterna
Mar 16, 2010 at 4:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

semisight

500+ Head-Fier
They seem to be fairly similar phones, both price-wise and feature-wise. The Turbines seem to be more balanced, but both offer above average isolation and awesome bass. Can anyone here give a quick comparison? I'm especially interested in isolation and clarity. Also how do they compare to shure isolation?

I feel like I post these questions periodically
tongue.gif
. I really will buy something soon and shut up, I promise. I just have to do an exhaustive search first (exhaustive in every sense of the word).

Thanks as always,
semi

Mar 16, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #2 of 9
I can't comment on the Turbines, but I did own the Atrios, and know roughly how they compare to the Turbines. The Eterna definitely has better highs and mids than the Atrio, while the Atrio did have deeper bass, which is what it is known for, the deepest bass of all. The Eterna does have more mid-bass than the IE8 with stock tips, though with good tips that is tamed considerably, enough to barely even know they once had a mid-bass bump. I think that they're probably fairly similar other than the Eterna being bassier and the Turbine being more balanced. When people said the Turbines had better highs than the Atrio, I imagined something similar to what the Eterna is now, so perhaps make them a bit better than the Eterna as an estimate. The Eterna would certainly have the better cable and build quality, as well as little microphonics due to the over the ear nature, though it's probably possible to wear the turbines over the ear too.
Clarity, the Eterna is better than the Atrios, so I'd imagine they are similar to the Turbines. I wouldn't really expect them to be better, seeing as they sell for $32.50 less than the Turbines ($67.49 vs $100), but they're probably similar.
I know this probably wasn't the most helpful post, but if you read a comparison between the Atrios and the Turbines it might help a bit.

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #3 of 9
Hmm... decisions decisions.

Has anybody that has heard both want to comment?

Mar 16, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #4 of 9
As the owner of Eterna say that in addition to the powerful bass in them nothing of interest there. If you listen to club music, they will approach you (I hear this) - with other styles not cope. Same Apple In Ear to the tracks where a lot of live instruments I liked more.

Mar 16, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by PoVarR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As the owner of Eterna say that in addition to the powerful bass in them nothing of interest there. If you listen to club music, they will approach you (I hear this) - with other styles not cope. Same Apple In Ear to the tracks where a lot of live instruments I liked more.

Completely disagree. I've been surprised how detailed they are for more intimate songs, like "Falling Slowly" off the Once soundtrack. People were commenting they were "bass monsters", but I haven't really found that. There's definitely a presence, but it's not really overpowering.

Mar 17, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #6 of 9
I want more impactful bass than RE0s (not hard to do) along with forward mids and (most importantly) good isolation. I'm also sort of considering the Sleek Audio SA6, but I want at least one bass heavy IEM.

Mar 17, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #7 of 9
Well, personally, I use them for rock mostly. It really depends on what tips you use the amount of bass you get out of them. Stock tips do make them bass monsters, but good tips cut the mid-bass considerably and makes them a lot more suitable for more music and just generally better sounding. The Eterna do have detail, just more of a softer detail than the RE0 and the like with the highs that are less up front. In short, I don't find them unsuitable for rock, and some of the metal I listen to is fairly fast and heavy. Sure, they won't have the speed of the RE0 in the really really fast stuff, but for the majority of my fast metal I didn't find the Eterna at any more than a slight disadvantage for speed, difference being where the difference actually makes a difference to what you hear (not nitpicking, just general listening experience).
Bi-flange tips (not the stock ones) are best for isolation of all the silicone tips I've tried. Isolation with the small clear RE0 bi-flange is better on the Eterna than on the RE0, just so you have a comparison. I found the difference substantial.

Mar 17, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #9 of 9
I've found the mids of the Silver Bullet to be quite lush, but at the same time somewhat recessed. It's not too recessed in my opinion, but if you're coming from the RE0 they might seem a bit recessed. Not to say I don't like the Silver Bullet, in fact it is my favourite and the one I usually use, but it doesn't exactly have the most forward mids, as it is a very open and airy IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back