Tuner vs. Receiver-looking for FM Access
Apr 17, 2003 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

spaceman

Headphoneus Supremus
Could someone please tell me the difference between these? I am looking for an inexpensive radio (AM/FM) to go with my CDP and headphone amp. This will only be used with headphones. Thanks.

Apr 17, 2003 at 4:14 AM Post #2 of 3
A tuner is just that, either an FM or an AM/FM radio, with no amplifier capability.

A receiver combines a tuner with an integrated amplifier, all in one chassis, sharing a common power supply. This saves space and costs somewhat less than having a separate amplifier and tuner.

You could pick up a good used tuner on eBay. Analog tuners from the 70s and early 80s show up frequently used, from such companies as Sansui, Kenwood, and Marantz. Tuning will be manual, vial a tuning knob or wheel, and these tuners tend to be on the large side, but the sound can be better than with most of today's digital tuners.

You could also pick up a small used receiver to use as a tuner. Just connect the tape out connections on the receiver to your headphone amplifier. If your headphone amplifier only has one pair of stereo input connections you can purchase an external switch box with multiple inputs for under $20 from Radio Shack.

One small AM/FM radio that can be used as a tuner is the Tivoli Audio PAL. http://www.tivoliaudio.com/pPALBLK.htm

Apr 17, 2003 at 4:52 AM Post #3 of 3
Great...thanks for the info. The Tivoli may just do the trick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back