Tubes with the most bass?
Nov 8, 2008 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MatthewK

100+ Head-Fier
My LD MK IV SE is in the mail, and it will be my first tube-amp. It's supposed to come with 6H30Pi Gold Pin power tubes and M8100 driver tubes. I also have some 6Zh1P-EV tubes coming in the mail from the Ukraine which will probably arrive a bit later.

What driver tubes can you recommend for the absolute most bass? I'm talking like the DT770 equivalent of bass (I'll be using HD650's though).

I've read that the 6Zh1P-EV's have some good bass, and they were so cheap I went ahead and snatched some up. I've also heard the Tung-Sol 6AK5W have good bass, but how does it compare to the 6Zh1P-EV?

Are there any other tubes with tons of bass that are compatible with the MK IV SE?

Nov 9, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #2 of 7
Basshead? Are you using a PC or portable device for your source? You could just EQ it. In my experience, certain tubes have improved the bass a bit, but EQ'ing would certainly have a more pronounced effect.

Nov 9, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tridacnid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Basshead?

bassheadbw6.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tridacnid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you using a PC or portable device for your source? You could just EQ it. In my experience, certain tubes have improved the bass a bit, but EQ'ing would certainly have a more pronounced effect.

I'm using an E-mu 0404 USB connected to an Aphex 204. The Aphex has quite a bit of bass boost. I'm still interested though in experimenting with tubes that have more bass than the stock tubes.
L3000.gif

Nov 12, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #7 of 7
Hi Matthew

I've tried the 6Zh1p not the EV or EB variant...Its a very good all round tube as is the M8100 ...I think u'll probably enjoy both of them very much depending on your phones, type of music and source . That being said, I recall from memory that the Tung-Sols had the most bass of all the tubes I've tried.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MatthewK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trapper32: Have you tried the 6Zh1P-EV? If so, how would you say the bass compares to the Tung-Sol 6AK5W's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back