Tubes Question
Jan 1, 2009 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ztsen

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I have bought Little Country III for a month. The default tube is 6922EH Electro Harmonix. It uses 2 tubes, 1 for preamp, 1 for amp.

1) It is better to use same type of tube for amp+preamp? I only bought Jan 6DJ8, it doesn't sound good if i mix with 6922EH. But it sound slightly better with both Jan 6DJ8. Quite suitable for D5000 but not K702.

2) Anyone have experience on Telefunken pc88 or Amperex 7308 USN-CEP?

3) Any recommendation of tubes for D5000 or K702?

4) I can hear hum when I use UE5 pro but not with D5000 and K702, is it because smaller impedance?

The Little Country III also can use as preamp with external amp, currently I only have Mustang. I use Jan 6Dj8 + D5000 to play Eminem-Till I Collapse ft. 50 Cent & 2pac with very controlled bass (less bassy than using Mustang).

Jan 1, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #2 of 11
1) The Electro Harmonix are new production tubes, which means that they may not be very good. The 6922 is a direct equivalent of the 6DJ8, so mixing and matching is fine. Just use your ears.

2) No

3) No

4) Yep. Higher sensitivity.

Jan 2, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tridacnid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) The Electro Harmonix are new production tubes, which means that they may not be very good. The 6922 is a direct equivalent of the 6DJ8, so mixing and matching is fine. Just use your ears.

2) No

3) No

4) Yep. Higher sensitivity.

Thanks for the info.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 2, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #4 of 11
Telefunkens are generally a little more laid back than Amperexes but they have wonderful harmonic content and give a nice rich sound. You really can't go wrong with either tube,just be prepared to pay for them.

Jan 2, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #6 of 11
Electroharmonix are the best of the worst. I guess I'd like them more if they didn't hum in my 336. Try some older tubes, they were made better then.

Jan 2, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try the mullard 6922.

can give a bit impression how the mullard 6922 sounds like?

Jan 9, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #10 of 11
Anyone can recommend me trusted sites to buy 6922 type tubes?

Jan 9, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #11 of 11
I have Siemens 6922 and 7308s, in addition to Amperex 6DJ8s, and they are all fantastic choices. My amp uses these as preamp tubes, so I couldn't coment on using them as driver tubes. To compare all three to each other:

Amperex 6DJ8: warm, sweet tone. Very "vintage". The most laid back of the three. Excellent midrange, clean yet soft highs. "Jazzy", or great for blues/acoustic/vocals. The noisiest (more microphonic, not scratchy noises) of the three - very sensitive, but the "tubiest" sound of the three. Great with the Tung-Sol 5998 power tube.

Siemens 6922: well balanced, detailed, huge soundstage, but more up front than the 6DJ8. Airy highs, detailed bass. The most "solid state" sounding of the three - great for all-around useage, specifically rock, electric blues, electronica. Pairs well with all my driver tubes.

Siemens 7308: Clean, bright and airy top end, amazingly detailed and deep soundstage (almost 3D). Articulate in all frequencies, and best at retrieving extremely low level details in the music. Similar in sound to the 6922 overall, but more impactful - hard to describe, but the 6922 sounds slightly thinner in comparison. Very quiet tube - no noise or microphonics whatsover once 15 minutes or so of warmup time has been achieved. My preferred tube to pair with my Tung-Sol 7236 power tube.

The Telefunkens are similar to Siemens in sound signature, and fitting the Mullards into the range described, they are probably closer to the Amperex 6DJ8s - their hallmark is a warm, sweet, silky sound, yet more up front than the Amperex. A great tube for female vocals.

If you're going to mix/match tubes, it shouldn't be a problem. For instance, if you listen to 2Pac and Eminem a lot, then you'll probably want something like a Siemens or Telefunken 7308 for your power tube, and a Mullard for your pre-amp tube, or vice-versa...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back